Honored Contributor

"THE MORE THE MERRIER" JEAN ARTHUR, JOEL MCCREA THURSDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "The More the Merrier"  Joel McCrea, Jean Arthur, Charles Coburn, Bruce Babbit, Ann Savage

Charming, romantic "housing shortage" comedy with peerless Jean Arthur and adorable Joel McCrea, not to mention the crafty, award-garnering antics of old pro Charles Coburn.  McCrea and Arthur have unusually effervescent chemistry.   Superbly written, and deftly directed by the elegant George Stevens.

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE MORE THE MERRIER" JEAN ARTHUR, JOEL MCCREA THURSDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I'll be watching for about the 100th time, such a cute film.

Super Contributor

Re: "THE MORE THE MERRIER" JEAN ARTHUR, JOEL MCCREA THURSDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Love this film. Jean Arthur is so cute in it. I bought some new ice cream after work that I will be enjoying as I watch.

Honored Contributor

I did not realize that George Stevens wrote and directed The More the Merrier. I remember him from Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire movies and especially Swing Time And what a varied career he had.

Directing Penny Serenade, Woman of the Yar, I Remember Mama, A Place in the Sun, Shane and Giant.

Look forward to watching it.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla, I worded my sentence clumsily--  I meant to say, it was well written (by others) and well directed (by Stevens).  Didn't give the writers billing because there was a team of them and couldn't remember all their names!

But it's definitely true that both the writing and the direction in this film is excellent!

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell @deepwaterdotter 

It is such a fun movie.

Okay, @Oznell - do you prefer Joel McCrea, George Brent or Dennis Morgan?! 

Nice lineup of WW2 homefront  films on  TCM tonight.  After “The More the Merrier” is the Preston Sturges movie “The Miracle of Morgan’s Creek” with Eddie Bracken, Betty Hutton,  Diana  Lynn, Akim Tamiroff,  William Demarest (a regular in Sturges movies) and Brian Donlevy.   

At Midnight Eastern 1945’s “The Clock” with Judy Garland and Robert Walker directed by Vincente Minnelli.    

Honored Contributor

Oh, boy, you've got me, @trenet!  Talk about hard choices!

Let's stipulate that all three more than merit my highest, oft-repeated accolade of "adorable",  ha.

Well, first I'll eliminate George Brent (not that I want to).  Such a charmer.  Then I'll (sadly) eliminate Dennis Morgan.  This was tougher though, b/c of that melting singing voice of his...

Have to go with darling Joel McCrea.  Faultlessly, unself-consciously masculine.  Yet sensitive (but not too sensitive-- he's no Alan Alda/Donnie Deutsch trying-to-virtue-signal-solidarity-with-the-girls pander).

It's his boyishness, and that impetuous quality of his, and "old California ranch" realness that comes out, I guess...

It IS a nice night on TCM!   Although I do possess the heresy of not succumbing that much to Preston Sturges movies.  I've tried, but for some reason his undeniable talent doesn't quite hit me with the force of others, not sure why.