Esteemed Contributor

Re: "THE MIRACLE WORKER" ANNE BANCROFT PATTY DUKE SATURDAY 4:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I Love this movie!

when I was a teenager I read everything that I could get my hands on about Helen Keller. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: "THE MIRACLE WORKER" ANNE BANCROFT PATTY DUKE SATURDAY 4:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I'm not sure what year the original Miracle Worker was aired on TV, but it must have still been in the 1960s.  My sisters and I all watched it and cried. 

We had a set of Worldbook encyclopedias, and my two younger sisters who are 15 months apart in age, taught themselves the deaf alphabet out of the encyclopedia article.  They used to covertly send each other little messages in school using the deaf alphabet.

My middle sister later became an American Sign Language interpreter for the deaf, and to this day, age 61, is still employed at a school as an interpreter.  

I have enjoyed all versions of this story and especially thought it was pretty cool when Patty Duke went on to play Annie Sullivan with Melissa Gilbert as Helen.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell 

Watching it now...not sure if I can get through it.

Too heart-wrenching for me.