Honored Contributor

"THE MIRACLE WORKER" ANNE BANCROFT PATTY DUKE SATURDAY 4:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

4:00 p.m. Eastern, Saturday--  "The Miracle Worker"  Anne Bancroft, Patty Duke, Victor Jory, Inga Swenson, Andrew Prine

miracleworker-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg

In the years following its release in 1962,  "The Miracle Worker" was that gem-like little film that almost suffered from over-exposure on TV.  It seemed it was a staple of the Late Show!   It deserves a fresh look as a timeless classic.

Anne Bancroft as Helen Keller's galvanizing teacher Annie Sullivan is a wonder.  She just plays the heart out of that 19th century impoverished street urchin, who conquers her many fears and brings Helen Keller into the light.  Patty Duke is a totally believable Helen, and I love the fierceness also of Inga Swenson as a mother who knows the preciousness of human life, whatever the "challenges".

Very nice, tartly masculine supporting work by Victor Jory and 60's heartthrob Andrew Prine, too.  The art direction brings you right into a genteel, backwater Alabama homestead, and the cinematography and the musical score are memorably haunting.

Best Actress Oscar went to Bancroft, and Best Supporting Actress to Patty Duke.

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE MIRACLE WORKER" ANNE BANCROFT PATTY DUKE SATURDAY 4:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

It has been ages since I saw this movie. Now I wish I had not donated Patty Duke's autobiography, so I could reread her comments about making this movie.

Doubt I will watch it in real time, so I will add it to my list of "watch later" movies. 

And sadly 31 Days of Oscar ends soon. 

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE MIRACLE WORKER" ANNE BANCROFT PATTY DUKE SATURDAY 4:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Patty Duke should have won the Best Actress Oscar & Ann Bancroft the supporting actress.  Patty played the hell out of Helen.

I remember seeing Helen Keller on one of the late nite talk shows at that time - Jack Paar?  She was a hoot.  Really funny. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I will have to record it.  Have not seen it in a long time, but would like to watch it again. Ann Bancroft is awesome!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

@Oznell 

Oh my - this one is such a tearjerker! 

Honored Contributor

A very good movie about 2 remarkable women.  Must seeing for anyone who hasn't already.

Respected Contributor

This DVD is among our classics and, yes, it's a great movie with a wonderful supporting cast.

The original shines, even in b/w, while I haven't liked the remakes.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

Love this movie.  I saw it for the first time in the late 60's when I was probably about the same age as Patty Duke was when this moive was filmed.  What an impact it had on me !  

Esteemed Contributor

Now this is definitely a classic. Thanks again @Oznell 

Respected Contributor

I can't imgine anyone watching this film without being profoundly moved and indelibly touched by it.  And yes, @Oznell , the score is haunting.  Thanks for the heads-up.