Honored Contributor

"THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE" LAURENCE HARVEY ANGELA LANSBURY FRIDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

frank-sinatra-laurence-harvey-the-manchurian-candidate-1962-BX4WHB.jpg

8:00 p.m. Eastern-   "The Manchurian Candidate"   Laurence Harvey, Frank Sinatra, Angela Lansbury, Janet Leigh, Henry Silva, James Gregory, Leslie Parrish, John McGiver, Douglas Henderson, Whit Bissell

Stunning Cold War thriller, in which Korean War-era American troops are captured and secretly brainwashed by Chinese Communists, then allowed to return home.

Laurence Harvey is one who has been primed to kill upon command by enemy agents Stateside.  Apart from not knowing that he has been turned into an assassin, he has other problems, including a powerful, twisted, Machiavellian mother, brilliantly played by Angela Lansbury (Best Supporting Actress nomination honors).

maxresdefault.jpg

Frank Sinatra is his fellow soldier, an Army Captain, who ultimately makes an attempt to de-program Harvey.  Like Harvey and Lansbury, Sinatra is terrific in his role, and I kept wishing there would be more scenes between him and Janet Leigh, also effective in a small role....

su6vtmssanp5yqpbpmdz.jpg 

Not for the faint-hearted, but riveting and thought-provoking.

And you could turn it into a Laurence Harvey double feature, by watching him co-star with Elizabeth Taylor in sudsy "Butterfield 8", at 10:15 p.m. Eastern, right after "The Manchurian Candidate".   "Larry" and "La Liz" have some serious chemistry there...

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE" LAURENCE HARVEY ANGELA LANSBURY FRIDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TC

This original version is "DA BOMB!"  I hated the Denzel Washington version.

Angela Lansbury plays an excellent "upper crust smothering her only baby boy bad mama."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE" LAURENCE HARVEY ANGELA LANSBURY FRIDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TC

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

Cannot watch Manchurian Candidate (seen it many times, but it creeps me out).

However Butterfield 8 is in my top picks.  I have the CD and have watched it often.  It's a guilty pleasure for me as I adore anything with Elizabeth Taylor.  Love when she smashes his foot with her spike heel!

It's a sizzler!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  Thanks for the headsup! Angela Lansbury is deliciously wicked in The Manchurian Candidate.

I'm also a fan of Liz in her role in Butterfield 8.

I'll be watching.

Honored Contributor

Angela is the best here, IMO.  What a mom!!

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed an Angela Lansbury interview that I saw. One of the tidbits that she talked about, stuck in my head. She was talking about "The Manchurian Candidate" and said she was 3 years older than Laurence Harvey and she played his Mom in the movie.

She had quite a laugh about it. 

Respected Contributor

Over the years I have develped more respect for

Frank Sinatra as an actor.....

Regular Contributor

@Oznell 

I don't have TCM anymore, but have seen this picture more times than I can count.

Would you give me your thoughts on the role Janet Leigh played.  I always thought she was a spy.  I would like to know what you think.

Honored Contributor

That is such an interesting take on her, @chloe4578 .   I hadn't thought of it, but given the circumstances under which they met, and other factors, you could very well be right!  Thanks for sharing that.  I'll be looking for 'clues' the next time I watch.

Esteemed Contributor

Great movie, Frank Sinatra fought so hard to be in it.