Honored Contributor

"THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI" RITA HAYWORTH SAT. MIDNIGHT EASTERN & SUNDAY 10:00 A.M. EA

[ Edited ]

Saturday Midnight Eastern, and Sunday 10:00 a.m. Eastern --  "The Lady from Shanghai"   Orson Welles, Rita Hayworth, Everett Sloan, Glen Anders, Ted de Corsia

This is a late, late flash alert for tonight, but at least Welles fans have two chances to catch or record--  tonight, or 10:00 a.m.  Eastern Sunday.  That's one of the things I like about "Noir Alley"--  Eddie gives us two showings!

I always find this haunting and fascinating for the interplay between estranged husband and wife, director Orson Welles and Rita Hayworth.  Admittedly, the film is convoluted and a bit turgid in places, but the visual set pieces are astounding, quintessential Welles.  The scenes around the yacht, and the famously climactic "hall of mirrors" scene-- brilliant...

And, I'm one of those few who thinks Rita is equally effective as an icy blonde, as she is as a torrid redhead!

Respected Contributor

Re: "THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI" RITA HAYWORTH SAT. MIDNIGHT EASTERN & SUNDAY 10:00 A.M. E

@Oznell   I, too, think Rita is equally effective as a blonde.  The Hall of Mirrors scene is brilliant.  I have often wondered what the film would have been like with Welles initial editing instead of Columbia's.  Hayworth, often, said Welles was the love of her life and Welles in later years said he was so sorry that he was so involved with his work and himself that his neglect of her was not because of love but creativity and ambition as she didn't deserve it.  He spoke of how very kind, nice and lovely she was.  I do like and enjoy this movie as I do most of his work during this time frame.

Love his voice, reminds me of Anthony Scourby.  He was a marvelous storyteller.  Thanks for the reminder!

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI" RITA HAYWORTH SAT. MIDNIGHT EASTERN & SUNDAY 10:00 A.M. E

He was indeed a great story teller in film,  @Somertime !  Additionally, I like the Irish accent he has as his sailor character.  It seems to me I remember in his youth he fell in with Dublin theater people, so his deft ear could pick up a pretty creditable Irish accent...  But of course, he must always add his florid Wellesian touches...

Very interesting to hear their respective views on each other and their marriage.  During their brief time together, what a couple Welles and Hayworth were!

Honored Contributor

When you have a beautiful face, it doesn't matter what your hair color is and Rita Hayworth was in the beautiful actress category!  Orson Welles, a brilliant filmmaker who is a film legend.

I knew Hayworth and Welles were married and would be interested in reading about their relationship. It must have been interesting to say the least.  I will have this movie on my DVR tonight!!!