Honored Contributor

"THE LADY EVE" BARBARA STANWYCK, HENRY FONDA THURSDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "The Lady Eve"  Barbara Stanwyck, Henry Fonda, Charles Coburn, Eugene Pallette, William Demarest, Eric Blore

A must for the legions of Barbara Stanwyck fans.  Absurd comedy, directed by the madcap Preston Sturges.  Stanwyck and her Dad (Coburn) are con artists, and they draw a bead on innocent researcher Henry Fonda, in the midst of a luxurious cruise.  Of course, Barbara loses her cold, hard calculation when she falls for the guy... 

Belief must be suspended for this film, but if you like the classic genre of '30's/40's "screwball comedy",  this is your ticket.  Terrific cast-- adore Eugene Pallette. 

I have to confess I've never quite watched it all the way to the kooky end, and not sure why?   Because Stanwyck is my favorite classic film actress of all time, even edging a little ahead of glorious Bette Davis.  But for some reason, although I can see his skill and boyish appeal, Henry Fonda is not quite my cup of tea, much like K. Hepburn.  Ah well, to each his own...

Frothy fun.

the lady eve 4.JPG

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE LADY EVE" BARBARA STANWYCK, HENRY FONDA THURSDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Sounds like a fun romp, oznell!  Thank you so much.

Honored Contributor

That's the exact turn of phrase to describe it, dear @golding76!

By the way, you might appreciate this little aside about the film.  Years ago, HSN offered various reproductions of pieces of jewelry from various classic films.  Because I adore Stanwyck, I got the repro of a pin she wore in "The Lady Eve".  It was a "diamond" bow, very deco looking.  It's an extremely well-made piece of costume jewelry, very sturdy and detailed, and the crystals do gleam and shimmer, the way I imagine the real pin did on Stanwyck!

Super Contributor

Love Barbara Stanwyck! She is great in this quick moving, screwball comedy. 

I have this on DVR and enjoying watching it from time to time.

Thank you @Oznell  for the alert.

Super Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

By the way, you might appreciate this little aside about the film.  Years ago, HSN offered various reproductions of pieces of jewelry from various classic films.  Because I adore Stanwyck, I got the repro of a pin she wore in "The Lady Eve".  It was a "diamond" bow, very deco looking.  It's an extremely well-made piece of costume jewelry, very sturdy and detailed, and the crystals do gleam and shimmer, the way I imagine the real pin did on Stanwyck!

@Oznell  Wow! How lucky you are to have such a special reminder of not only this fun film, but Stanwyck as well!

Honored Contributor

oznell,

Thank you for your nice words.  I am looking forward to this movie.

My heavens!  How I wish I had known about HSN's "reproductions from classic movies" jewelry selection.  A fascinating bit of marketing. 

How lucky you are to have that Stanwyck pin. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Did you buy any other pieces of jewelry from classic movies from HSN? I did not know they sold any costume jewelry from movies. Glad you bought the pin. It sounds beautiful. Will try to pick it out tonight during the movie.

Respected Contributor

Stanwyck and Davis are my favorites also. Thinking how nice it will be to watch a good movie. 

Honored Contributor

@lil spot, @golding76, @drizzellla --  Yeah, wasn't that a fun thing for them to offer?  They had things like Crawford's famous aquamarine jewelry, some items I think from Paulette Goddard's famous personal collection (which like Merle Oberon, she also wore in her films) etc. etc.  I remember loving many pieces, but only got the one.  I was very surprised at how well it was made.  I'm not sure, but I think that was the line they had New York 'columnist supreme' Cindy Adams as the spokesperson for.  She was perfect, modeling the jewelry and kibbitzing and providing background info on the pieces!

These aren't great shots of it, but here it is.  Note that they have it attached to a necklace so she can also wear it as a choker.  Mine didn't come with a full necklace, but sure enough, it has loops on the back, so you can thread a chain through it.  I've worn it both ways.

do-you-like-any-of-the-rest-of-me.jpg

Honored Contributor

So true, @Catiele!  And more good ones ahead, with "Summer Under the Stars"...