Honored Contributor

"THE JOURNEY" DEBORAH KERR, YUL BRYNNER TUESDAY 9:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

448944676_9936b9ab34_b.jpg

9:45 p.m. Eastern--  "The Journey"   Yul Brynner, Deborah Kerr,  Jason Robards, E.G. Marshall, Robert Morley, Kurt Kacszner, Anne Jackson, Ronny Howard, Anouk Aimee

Yul and Deborah absolutely sizzle in this romantic/political drama.   It's the Hungarian Revolution of 1956,  and Kerr, an aristocratic Englishwoman, is trying to blend in to a group of fleeing international passengers.   She's bound that she's going to smuggle out her injured Hungarian freedom fighter boyfriend (Jason Robards), before he's killed by the Russians.

But a Soviet major detains the bus group at the Austrian border--  he's tantalized by the cool but alluring Deborah, and suspicious of Robards.

Interesting cast, and situation of the trapped passengers at the country inn--   but I'm always absorbed by the socko chemistry of Brynner and Kerr!  

There is some sadness, so if your mood right now could be negatively affected, be forewarned.

Otherwise, a terrific watch!    

Trusted Contributor

Re: "THE JOURNEY" DEBORAH KERR, YUL BRYNNER TUESDAY 9:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Thanks! I just set my recorder!

Esteemed Contributor

I love this movie!  They became great real life friends following "The King and I."

Honored Contributor

This sounds like a movie I would enjoy.  I find he story line interesting  and I have to admit I am not at all familiar with this movie.  I liked Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr in the King and I and they did have chemistry in the romance department!  Thanks for the heads up on this one, I will tape it . There is always room for a new movie!!!!

Honored Contributor

An excellent movie, not on that frequently.   The 2 leads were great together.

Respected Contributor

I just read Ron Howards biography ... he was in this movie ..

I liked the movie .. and love Yul Bynner ...

Honored Contributor

Good quote, @spiderw ,  that's my sentiment too--  "always room for a new movie", especially if it's as absorbing as this one.  As time goes on, it's harder and harder to find really good ones that haven't been aired a million times.  This one is a real find.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads up @Oznell will tape if I can find TCM here.  

RE:  The King and I, just finished Maureen O'Hara's autobiography and she was Zanuck's first choice.  But Rodgers didn't want her (and she could sing!).

I was never wowed by Kerr playing that part and now I'm mad O'Hara didn't get it.  lol

Honored Contributor

Oh, interesting, @Lucky Charm --  I didn't know that Maureen O'Hara was up for the "King and I" part!   I could definitely see her taking that by storm, even though she's not my all time favorite.

I hope you can find "The Journey" on your TCM.  If not, you may be able to get to it through the online site-- not sure if they still have "on demand"...

I like Kerr in this-- she has that patented sort of "high- strung",  intelligent, combo of reserve, vulnerability and strength that works rather well for the part...

Trusted Contributor

I am a big fan of both Deborah Kerr and Maureen O'Hara! I loved Maureen in the movie "Only The Lonely" with John Candy. Such a change for her! 
One of my favorite Deborah Kerr movies was "The Sundowners" with Robert Mitchum, along with "Vacation From Marriage", with Robert Donat. Just both probably underated classics! 
Miss both of these actresses.....what wonderful careers they both had!