Honored Contributor

"THE JACKIE ROBINSON STORY" JACKIE ROBINSON, FRIDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

jackie-robinson-041515-sn-ftrjpg_9piq61thvj0u1j5bb3hkalm0a.jpg

Celebrate April 15,  Jackie Robinson Day, with a screening of "The Jackie Robinson Story" on TCM.

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "The Jackie Robinson Story"  Jackie Robinson, Ruby Dee, Minor Watson, Louise Beavers, Richard Lane, Harry Shannon, Ben Lessy, Kenny Washington, Bill Spaulding, Bernie Hamilton

Sight unseen, but the word on this is that it is a worthy historical portrait, of a great man.  I have not much interest in sports figures, but by virtue of his character, and his stunning accomplishment in breaking the color barrier in baseball, Jackie Robinson is a person of fascination.  It's nice to have a public figure who is by all accounts, admirable on so many levels, not just on his superior athletic talent.

jackie-robinson-and-ruby-dee.jpg

Love that he played himself in this.  His wife Rachel is portrayed by the radiant young Ruby Dee.  The production is filled with familiar character players, like Joel Fluellen.  He may not be a household name, but his face is well-known. He's the second from the right, below, seated next to Ruby Dee:

The_Jackie_Robinson_Story_(1950)_still_1.jpg

(Fluellen plays Jackie Robinson's brother Mack, Olympian silver medalist at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.  I found that absolutely staggering-- two brothers with such titanic athletic abilities!  Not only that, it was the same fateful Olympics where Hitler's twisted hopes of "Aryan" glory were crushed by our own Jesse Owens.)

Anyway, there's enough real-life drama, struggle, heartbreak and determined triumph over adversity to make this film a very good bet, I would think.  

the-jackie-robinson-story-ss2.jpg 

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE JACKIE ROBINSON STORY" JACKIE ROBINSON, RUBY DEE FRIDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN

@Oznell What channel/station?

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE JACKIE ROBINSON STORY" JACKIE ROBINSON, FRIDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Oh, thanks for alerting me that TCM was cut off, @Love my grandkids !   I'm sure I had typed it in the title line without looking, and the line must have been too filled with characters, so it just chopped off TCM!   Thanks to you, it's fixed.

Trusted Contributor

We will be watching...DH loves to see or hear anything about his baseball favorite, Jackie Robinson. This was a great movie. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, thanks, @Duckncover --  it's great to get an endorsement for the film from someone who's actually seen it!

Honored Contributor

Wonderful movie, and paired as a double feature with "42", a panorama of perceptions and interpretations of thought and acceptance and struggle. 

Esteemed Contributor

What I like about this movie was that Jackie Robinson played himself. And he was 31 when he appeared in the movie. 

It is sad that he died at 53. So it seems to make this movie even more special. That he starred in HIS movie before his untimely death. You got to see the real Jackie Robinson.

I guess because I have been to many baseball games, I like watching baseball movies. And this is definitely worth watching every spring.

Honored Contributor

Wow, @drizzellla ,  I had forgotten that Jackie Robinson died quite young.   You're right, it's all the more special that he appears in his own film bio--  a priceless legacy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, I missed this notice.   So I did a search and see that this movie is coming up two more times in my guide (Sat 4/16 11:12pm and Wed 4/20 3:25am) on another channel.

I cannot figure out the name of the channel but it's coded as RETRPXHD on my tv.   I sure hope that is helpful to somebody else.  Smiley Happy

I scheduled the early morning one to record and look forward to it.  Thanks!

ETA:  The channel is called Retroplex.  HTH   It's a cable channel and looks like it's, well, retro Smiley Very Happy  movies and such.