Honored Contributor

"THE INNOCENTS" DEBORAH KERR PAMELA FRANKLIN WEDNESDAY 11:45 A.M. EASTERN FOX MOVIE CHANNEL

11:45 a.m. Eastern Fox Movie Channel--  "The Innocents"  Deborah Kerr, Michael Redgrave, Pamela Franklin

Utterly fascinating tale of a governess (Deborah Kerr) hired by a wealthy uncle (Michael Redgrave) to care for his neice and nephew.  Their previous governess had died under curious circumstances.  Kerr immediately starts to feel all is not well at the lovely, isolated estate, as strange occurences start to pile up and she is tormented by doubts...

There couldn't have been a better adaptation of Henry James' "The Turn of the Screw"--  "the Master" would be pleased, I think.  The sense of psychological unease and menace is almost palpable, and Deborah Kerr does full justice to the governess's evolving, ambiguous apprehensions.  The camera work sensitively makes the most of the real-life setting of the great English country house, "Sheffield Park", and  Truman Capote's tantalizing screenplay adaptation keeps us guessing.

Good idea to air this in the broad light of day!

Respected Contributor

Re: "THE INNOCENTS" DEBORAH KERR PAMELA FRANKLIN WEDNESDAY 11:45 A.M. EASTERN FOX MOVIE CH

OK, I admit I have never fully understood this movie.  Is the governess crazy?  Are the ghosts real?   

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Re: "THE INNOCENTS" DEBORAH KERR PAMELA FRANKLIN WEDNESDAY 11:45 A.M. EASTERN FOX MOVIE CH

@Peaches McPhee, you've nailed it perfectly-- that's what they WANT us to wonder, (endlessly) I believe!

Respected Contributor

Great scary movie. Debonair Kerr is excellent. The movie really gets into your head. Psychological terror is so much more compelling and interesting than the 

physical kind.

Honored Contributor

As I have mentioned in posts before, ghost stories are my favorites.  I love The Haunting, The Uninvited and of course this great movie, the Innocents.  I have seen it many times and in fact have it on DVD.  Deborah Kerr is excellent in her role of the governess.  I love the settings, it adds so much to the eerie feeling of the story line.  These are they type of movies I wish were made more often, a good scary ghost story well acted and so above many of the horrors made today.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you @Oznell 

Don't think I've ever seen this one.

I'll keep an eye out for this title. All movies make the rounds and it will show up on a channel I can get.

Valued Contributor

This is hands down my favorite scary movie and the best film adaptation of “Turn of the Screw.” There are some really, really bad adaptations out there, too.

In related news, if anyone watched the recent Netflix series, “The Haunting of Hill House,” the series has been renewed for a second season. Since they tied up all loose ends in the season 1 finale, they decided to make the series into an anthology one in which they choose a different classic horror novel and adapt it for a modern series that lasts one season. Season 2 will be titled, “The Haunting of Bly Manor.”