Respected Contributor

Re: "THE HEIRESS" OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND THURSDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Definitely my favorite Olivia film.  Devastating final scene indeed.

Her acting is spectacular, as she moves from warm, lovely, and deprived of all affection (even from her own father) to cold, bitter, and brittle.  Painful to watch...but not to be missed.

Respected Contributor

It's a wonderful movie...........one of my favorites but every time I watch it, I keep saying:  Open the door, open the door.......

Respected Contributor

@cimeranrose wrote:

Thanks for the alert for this great movie @Oznell . You're right, all the actors are in top form; perfect casting. No one could have captured the role of the father better than Richardson. It was so sad the father was not capable of loving his daughter because it not only affected her self confidence, but because she craved love so much, she was easily taken in by Clift's gold digger character.

Throughout the movie I kept hoping Clift's character would change but he never did. The final scene was a devastating ending for him but I felt like it was a good ending for Olivia's character - she was finally free of him and could finally move on with her life. (And maybe in her heart she could forgive her father and heal from that).

Miriam Hopkins performance was good as Olivia's flighty aunt. She knew Clift's real motives yet she still wanted them to marry. Her niece would never really have ended up with a happy life with him - it probably would have been a lonely and miserable marriage for her niece.

Good grief, sorry for the philosophying, lol! I'll definitely set my dvr for this gem.

I agree with most everything you say, @cimeranrose , except with your point that the ending left Olivia's character "free to move on with her life."  I felt she was left frozen-hearted and emotionally stunted -- that's the tragedy.  This film is the antithesis of the "empowered woman" narrative that infects so much of movie-making today.

Esteemed Contributor

One of my top 5 pictures!! Never get tired of watching it!

Frequent Contributor

Thanks @ oznell. I will be watching. What a wonderful movie.

I always thougth Montgomery Clift was as pretty as the young starlets. : )

Valued Contributor

Yes, I can see where you're coming from @vsm . I think she was left "frozen-hearted and emotionally stunted" when he originally didn't come to get her for their elopement (along with finding out what her father really thought of her). I guess the reason I felt like she was finally free to move on with her life is that in the last scene you see her going up the stairs with a smile on her face. To me, that smile said, "Yes, he really was no good and I don't have to second-guess anymore. I'm free of his haunting memory at last."

It's fun to get other people's perspective about this movieSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Somertime,  I have to admit, I've muttered that "open the door" thing myself, against my better judgment, maybe, just wanting her to have some happiness, even if fleeting...

Perhaps it's because Montgomery Clift is playing him a bit more sympathetically, at the end?   I can't really remember too well.  I have a feeling that at least in the novel that Henry James was pretty hard on "Morris", and there was no real change in his character justifying another chance....but again, it's too long ago that I read it.  Should give it another go!   

Esteemed Contributor

@cimeranrose 

@Oznell 

I've not seen this one, so will watch with interest.

@cimeranrose 

Thanks for your views...I enjoyed reading them.  I like knowing how things will end (I'm one of THOSE people).  It helps me watch a movie in a more relaxed fashion and be more observant about the characters.

Respected Contributor

Read the book. Will be watching again. One of the really great movie movies for me. Husband says are you going to watch it again. Of course he knows the answer.

Valued Contributor

LOL @Witchy Woman  I'm the same way! I'm notorious for reading the end of a book soon after I've read a little of it (I ruined one good book for myself doing that). I hope you enjoy the movie and please share your thoughts with us.