Honored Contributor

"THE GREAT LIE" BETTE DAVIS MARY ASTOR THURSDAY 3:30 A.M. EASTERN TCM

-4118636946278846070.jpg

3:30 a.m. Eastern --  "The Great Lie"   Bette Davis, George Brent, Mary Astor, Lucile Watson, Hattie McDaniel, Grant Mitchell, Jerome Cowan

A huge favorite among Bette fans, well worth recording if you're not up to a 3:30 a.m. Eastern viewing!

Bette, George and Mary are revolving members of a romantic triangle, and while he's still (briefly and mistakenly) married to Mary, she becomes pregnant with their child.  Once all the dust settles and he's with his true love and new wife, Bette, something must be done about the whole sticky situation.  While he flies around South America on business, Bette will see the temperamental concert pianist Mary through her pregnancy, and take the child as her own. 

If only it were that simple....

Wiki has tons of juicy background on "The Great Lie", if you're interested.   Miriam Hopkins could not be cast as the problematic pianist due to her previous trouble-making on other shoots.  Finally, Bette's choice of powerful, charismatic actress Mary Astor was agreed to. 

Astor was an excellent pianist in real life, but they made her use a dummy piano anyway.  However, her knowledge of correct fingering and her musicality in general led to her being very convincing, and a wow of a musician onscreen...

c444d3363dcb19a4636080da5770ae32.jpg

Always like Brent and Davis paired up in films.  Perhaps their one-time real life romance helped their warm chemistry.  And centered, confidently masculine Brent, to me, was sort of a "tempering" force for the high-strung Bette-- what they brought out in each other was sweet.

MV5BNTlkYjNjZWYtYzA1OC00MDE3LTk1NzUtMjRlYTk0MjI2MmU2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2MzI2Ng@@._V1_.jpg

Among the best of the Forties' "women's pictures" --  campy, romantic, sudsy fun.

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE GREAT LIE" BETTE DAVIS MARY ASTOR THURSDAY 3:30 A.M. EASTERN TCM

Not one of my favorites BD movie but it's a goodie.  Loved Mary Astor in the movie more than I did BD.  I felt Astor stole the show whenever she & Davis appeared together in a scene.  She really held her own.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Oznell 

My F A V O R I T E  all time actress, (Bette Davis) I'd watch her read a Snapple bottle cap - I adore her.

I saw this movie and it stands up - it's an excellent (if truly wacky plotline) flick, and all the acting is award-worthy. 

Astor was fabulous and stood her own in all scenes with Miss Bette.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the heads up @Oznell . I really like this movie - I'll be recording it since I hope I won't be awake at that time, LOL. Mary Astor is one of the few actresses who could stand up and hold her own with Bette onscreen. I think I read once where Mary and Bette were friends in real life. Love the beautiful country home.