Honored Contributor

"THE GLASS KEY" ALAN LADD, VERONICA LAKE MONDAY 11:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

11:45 p.m. Eastern--   "The Glass Key"  Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake, Brian Donlevy, William Bendix, Bonita Granville, Richard Denning, Joseph Calleia

Hey, film noir fans.  Very well done treatment of the Dashiell Hammett novel, "The Glass Key".   The plot is convoluted and confusing (at least to me!), but it mixes the political world with the underworld, the refined with the thuggish, with explosive and unforeseen results.

Tiny and cool, sardonic blonde Veronica Lake, is the perfect foil for soulful, reserved, charismatic Alan Ladd.  The studio was well aware of their chemistry, teaming them again and again in films.

That's why I watch this, for their crackling rapport, and the dynamic performances of expert supporting players like William Bendix and Brian Donlevy....

Glass Key 1942 30 Veronica Lake, Alan Ladd, Brian Donlevy.JPG

Love Alan Ladd!

Respected Contributor

Re: "THE GLASS KEY" ALAN LADD, VERONICA LAKE MONDAY 11:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Once again I agree with everything you’ve said here.

Veronica Lake popularized the hair wave covering one 

eye. Very come hither.

Esteemed Contributor

Classic in every sense of the word. 

Honored Contributor

Enchanting Veronica Lake, just 4'11",  the small siren with the famous "peekaboo" hairstyle:

veronica-lake-more-hidden-eye.jpg

Valued Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Enchanting Veronica Lake, just 4'11",  the small siren with the famous "peekaboo" hairstyle:

---

I had no idea that she was that small.

On the other hand, I have often heard about some of the leading men of classic film being much shorter than people imagined them to be.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely, @Highlands72.  And Alan Ladd was one of them.  They used to famously make some of his leading ladies stand in a trench, etc., when filming two shots with him!

Estimates as to his actual height varied, but I think his military records revealed he was 5'7".   There was so much substance to him, as a personality, that his height seems irrelevant to me.  And he and Veronica paired up perfectly....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Absolutely, @Highlands72.  And Alan Ladd was one of them.  They used to famously make some of his leading ladies stand in a trench, etc., when filming two shots with him!

Estimates as to his actual height varied, but I think his military records revealed he was 5'7".   There was so much substance to him, as a personality, that his height seems irrelevant to me.  And he and Veronica paired up perfectly....

And don't forget his voice. A wonderful, deep voice.

I remember seeing her on a talk show on youtube or somewhere and her hair was almost in a boy cut. She laughed about it. I almost cried!

They both came to bad ends. She died penniless and he died accidentally-I believe Valium and alcohol were involved. I know. I just ruined everything. But we'll always have the movies.

Related image

Honored Contributor

That's such a crucial point, @Judaline --  I can't even estimate how much of the 'lure' of any given actor is the voice.  For me, it's a huge percentage.  And he had a terrific one that carried authority and masculine appeal...

Honored Contributor

The first job I had after college, I worked for an insurance company. Sue Carol had a large policy with our company. And I must admit that the file on Sue Carol kept us mesmerized for hours. I bet her file was at least 3 inches thick.

And because of the large size of the insurance policy, there was quite a bit of back ground information. 

That was the first time I heard about Alan Ladd. He has fascinated me ever since.

Honored Contributor

Wow, that must have been fascinating, @drizzellla.  Without knowing that much about their marriage, I get the impression that she was the driving force, and perhaps he was quite dependent on her.   Their relationship was interesting in terms of Hollywood dynamics...