Honored Contributor

"THE GAY DIVORCEE" FRED ASTAIRE GINGER ROGERS TUESDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

STxU.gif

10:00 p.m. Eastern--   "The Gay Divorcee"   Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Alice Brady, Edward Everett Horton, Eirk Rhodes, Eric Blore, Betty Grable

Classic, madcap Astaire-and-Rogers romp, one which is distinguished, for me, by their entrancing performance of Cole Porter's brilliant romantic standard, "Night and Day".

Hope the gif doesn't make you dizzy!   The actual performance is truly magical, as Fred and Ginger spin around the deserted, elegant room, and just beyond the open doors, the English Channel sparkles as if in sympathy with the exquisite music and dance.

This also contains the rollicking "The Continental",  another one worth the price of admission!

gaydivorcee_thecontinental_FC_1_470x264_060620160725.jpg

But it's "Night and Day" that hauntingly lingers in the imagination...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "THE GAY DIVORCEE" FRED ASTAIRE GINGER ROGERS TUESDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Entertaining movie and great dances. Thanks @Oznell  I adore  these movies. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: "THE GAY DIVORCEE" FRED ASTAIRE GINGER ROGERS TUESDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell  What on earth is all that astrology going on prior to the movie. Could we just have some details about the movie please? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@godi wrote:

Entertaining movie and great dances. Thanks @Oznell  I adore  these movies. 

@godi  @Oznell   I love all the Fred & Ginger movies...especially those with Ed Horton...he's such a hoot! Smiley Very Happy

'Lets lock knees'...so fun...LOL  

Honored Contributor

UGH!

I am just seeing this now.

I got numerous notices today from TCM about The Bonfire of the Vanities, did not notice the Gay Divorcee was on. Thanks for posting this.

Honored Contributor

I missed the astrology stuff, @PA Mom-mom ,  as I only saw snippets of the film this time.  That's wierd, but somehow I'm not suprised--  TCM's choices for "between films" segments can be forgettable at best, and sometimes downright annoying!

I'm with you in saying, on with the movie!   Unless they have some really insightful and good critc or guest commentator who can substantially add to enjoyment of film.  I really miss the unreplaceable Robert Osborne, who was an arbiter of taste, connoisseurship, and also, good sense.

Honored Contributor

Musicals are not my cuppa tea, but I have seen the dance scene.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I always enjoy the Fred and Ginger movies and I enjoyed seeing the Gay Divorcee again!  Fred and Ginger are superb , so smooth, so graceful and they make it all look so easy!  One of my favorite dance sequences of theirs is the Night and Day one.  When the powers that were  put Fred and Ginger together, they struck gold!

Honored Contributor

I hate musicals but I must say, I've always loved watching Fred Astaire dancing in his movies.  Ginger Rogers was my favorite FA partner.

I've often wondered in private life, did he dance w/his wife like he did in the movies on a night out at a club. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I know I've seen it because I know of the songs. 

Can't remember if that was the movie where he has a butler and Ginger gives the butler a hard time and has the man all faklempt.  I think she barks at him and he's walking backwards while holding a silver tray as he leaves the room.

I'm probably way off, who knows, maybe I'm thinking of a Hepburn movie.  lol