Respected Contributor

Re: "THE FUGITIVE"S BACK ON METV MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN

I loved The Fugitive, but why in the world is it yet another fan favorite airing in the wee hours of the morning?

Some of us have to watch live, or aren't interested in queueing up program after program to view at a later date. Or like us lol, they go out a lot.

This is ongoing and predictable with every nostalgia channel. Enough with I Dream of Jeanie, Hogan's Heroes, Diff'rent Strokes, McHale's Navy, Gilligan's Island, etc., etc., airing on "prime" time--when they're the ones which should be on when most people are asleep.

And chuck the one-season wonders--if they're on at all, why aren't Lotsa Luck and Good Morning World airing at midnight?

Then there's Dennis the Menace, taking up space at a good time. A couple of weeks ago, they even aired a marathon. What's up with that? That was a kiddie show, and still is. Are kids today tuning in to that? I doubt it.

Put The Fugitive (et. al.) on at a decent time, and relegate the smelleroonies to the nether hours.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

My recorder's set too, @Pearlee !   I think this second episode is the one where Kimble helps a disturbed little girl who tries to dabble in witchcraft;  her perceptive teacher (and yet another attractive romantic prospect for Kimble) is played by a young Pat Crowley, I think.... 

Honored Contributor

Oh, I agree, @Moonlady .   Why on earth they put "Mannix" and "The Fugitive" on the "red eye" schedule is a mystery-- they deserve prime time!

Respected Contributor

Mannix. How could I have forgotten that one, @Oznell. I loved Mike Connors. You know, he did most of his own stunts. And that was him doing all of that running around, too. I remember reading about how exhausted he said he was after a day's filming lol. Poor guy!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. I cant wait for The Girl From Little Egypt which tells the whole backstory of Helen's murder. That should have been the pilot.
Honored Contributor

Yeah, @Moonlady ,  Mike Connors' youth as a varsity basketball player stood him in good stead with all that running and jumping and crazy stunts!  They're still at the beginning of the first season, by the way.  I love that early on, they often had guest stars from the golden age of films--  Gloria de Haven was on one of the recent episodes, as an old flame of Mannix's...

@Pearlee, agreed,  that was one of the best episodes of "The Fugitive",  because it lays out everything that happened, in flashback.  Pamela Tiffin was kind of a neophyte, ha, but it all worked somehow, and the rest of the cast (and the writing) was strong--  Ed Nelson, and Jerry Paris from the D i c k Van D y k e show in a small but effective role...

Respected Contributor

@Oznell, spotting those stars of yesteryear is one of the reasons I'm a fan of these old programs.

Shortly after I'd read a book about Gloria Grahame, I saw her on one of the old dramas on a nostalgia channel. She looked pretty good. What a life--she had an affair (well...actually, she was CAUGHT in the "affair") with the [reportedly underaged] teen-aged son of one of her then-husbands, ended up marrying and having kids with him, after another intervening marriage...hoo boy😬. The book, written by her last partner, is good...it seems he really cared for her. She had a lot of health problems, too.

Anyway, part of the fun of watching old programming is "following up" on some of the old stars. Even when I watch Johnny Carson on Antenna TV, I find myself doing that. Sadly, but not surprisingly, most of them are gone now.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. Tiffin in that episode did one of the worst acting performances I've ever seen but I overlook that because the episode is so great. I love at the party scene at Nelson's house a group of men discussing the death penalty and they ask Kimble what he thinks of it!
Honored Contributor

I was the phone with someone til the wee hours of the morning so I stayed up and watched The Fugitive. It was The Other Side of the Mountain with guests a Ch very young Sandy Dennis and Frank Sutton. It was OK, not a favorite.. From 1963.Lt Gerard was in it

@Oznell did you know Morse was English when the show was on? I didn't and didn't find it out til many years later. He definitely had an English accent when speaking naturally.
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee,  I was vaguely aware of that, mostly because he was a fairly big deal actor in Canada before he got the Fugitive part.  I seem to think he had emigrated from the U.K., and then might have done Shakespeare etc. at the annual Stratford Fest in Ontario, in addition to CBC dramas, etc. Might have taught drama too

But I can't go check that to make sure before posting, because I'm afraid I won't be able to get back on the Q boards!  It's been crazy this morning-- things won't post or take forever to load!  Hope they fix it!

Anyway, I think that might be why Morse could do a pretty decent American accent-- he'd been listening to and absorbing Canadian accents for awhile...  Do you agree his American accent was quite good?