Honored Contributor

Re: "THE FOUNTAINHEAD" PATRICIA NEAL GARY COOPER TUESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

"I wish I had never seen..... your building".   (ha)

Honored Contributor

I went through an Ayn Rand period in junior high, reading The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged multiple times. I just could never get into this movie - felt the script and characters and actors chosen just didn’t reflect the book AT ALL.

Generally I am a fan of Patricia Neal and Cooper. I actually think I liked Neal playing off John Wayne the best. Also, she was superb(!) as the original Olivia Walton.
Honored Contributor

Oh, I do agree that Neal and Wayne are a combustible mix, @bikerbabe !

Esteemed Contributor

"...just signed on, and (thank you, Oznell) found one of my 4 best, at the top, movies.

I believe Patrica Neal is one fasinating actess, from high society to down home's good ol'e girls just making it". 

I dearly find new and different nuances each time I watch, and for tonight, I will - I love this movie.

Maybe due to the storyline of self. A complete nonconformist to be the essence against the values and constrictions of others in my craft. 

The Fountainhead

is by and was exciting, astoundingly awkward.... freely committed in dealing with politics having delivered a populist message!

The objectiveness, the melodrama that would be the essence of (as mentioned before) NONconformity against the __values__ of others whose ideas 'never change', and I ...any one becomes an unthinking follower as inevitably enclaves *a demand to their own rules. 

The struggles for acceptance of great new ideas in human society. 

I learned most of this while my  husband  (business) was refusing to dilute ideas or alter one's belief. The same as in medicine, my art, and the country / world today.

There's much to say when heroes are pitted against a collectivist dic//// ta *- sp. 

I'm a deep thinker - and complex, because it is psychological and epistemological to use your own mind of society committed judgment. 

The Fountainhead is one great moral goal achieving happiness. 

Honored Contributor

So much fun to encounter another passionate "appreciator",   @NAES1 !

Esteemed Contributor

May have noticed I've lost my "C" on keyboard.

I hurriedly scattered this from memory.

Oznell, I am changing back & forth.

OT: husband just told me.

The news, now on, is to be heard...... @Oznell 

Honored Contributor

Watching this movie got me thinking. Many years ago I read, The Fountainhead. My cousin who lived and went to school all over the world, was reading it. She suggested that I read it, too. Because she traveled so much by plane, in the old days there wasn't much to do while on a plane, she always was reading books. And she got me interested.

I will have to call her and thank her.

Honored Contributor

I must add that as an adult I now look back on Ayn Rand with scorn. Her philosophy of objectivism is the the epitomy of atheistic egoism, arguing that that satisfying the self is the greatest good, forget altruism or anyone but ME. Every man for him/herself. We owe each other nothing. Not much to admire in my view.