Honored Contributor

"THE FOUNTAINHEAD" PATRICIA NEAL GARY COOPER TUESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

8:00 p.m. Eastern, Tuesday-- "The Fountainhead".   Gary Cooper, Patricia Neal, Raymond Massey, Kent Smith, Henry Hull, Jerome Cowan

Well, it's certainly not the first time I've alerted this gem, but director King Vidor's "The Fountainhead" is one of those moody films that rewards multiple viewings!

It's my favorite of the young Patricia Neal in her smoky "glamour" phase.  She's conflicted, taut, fascinating, as an architecture critic drawn to maverick architect Gary Cooper.  The establishment has disowned talented Cooper because of his original designs, which threaten the whole "groupthink" status quo. 

00-32.jpg

Both Neal and wealthy Raymond Massey end up taking on Cooper as a protege of sorts, but Neal can't leave it at that-- she's too smitten.

Fountainhead-Movie-Remake-Director-Zack-Snyder-Next-Movie.jpg

The art direction on "The Fountainhead" is fabulous, with Art Deco influenced rooms and a "moderne" sensibility.  It has a whole look that sets it apart from other films of the period.  The dialog and atmosphere may be feverish, but the aesthetics are cool cool cool, and that extends to every part of the movie, including the locations and costuming.

The Fountainhead 3 web6gMEGS.jpg

Visually compelling right down to the famously sensational ending.

Wow!  In looking for images, came across this staged publicity shot below.  Hilarious.  There's none other than intellectually ferocious 'Fountainhead' author Ayn Rand, book-ended by her Hollywood star protagonists!  I wonder if the three of them had "deep" discussions while jaded photogs were setting up their shots, ha.  Come to think of it, Ayn Rand and Coop were probably pretty philosophically sympatico, world view-wise.

ca-times.brightspotcdn.com.jpeg

There's such a rich selection of stills and posters from this movie, it's astonishing.

The Fountainhead Patricia Neal.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "THE FOUNTAINHEAD" PATRICIA NEAL GARY COOPER TUESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Great movie and that cast. A very good movie. @Oznell  Thanks again ❤️

Honored Contributor

Absolutely, @godi ,  and I forgot to mention that as Star of the Month, she'll appear every Tuesday in January.  They're probably saving "The Subject Was Roses" and "Hud" for later.  But next week goodies like "Washington Story" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still" upcoming.

Still, her intense portrayal of angst-filled "Dominique Francon" opposite Cooper in "The Fountainhead" ranks right up there with me!  

Honored Contributor

I have seen The Fountainhead and must admit that Patricia Neal does not impress me. But after seeing the pictures that you posted, Oznell, I am going to check it out. I want to check out the sets. 

And as you said, it is a movie that should be viewed multiple times.

Honored Contributor

drizzella,

For a moment I wondered if I should write something negative.  The reason I hesitated is because I do not want to deter anyone from viewing this film; it is a worthwhile experience, after all.

However, I think Patricia Neal delivers one of the most wooden performances of her career in this film.  It plain old stinks!  Sorry, everyone, but that is my response to her.  Love Gary Cooper (naturally). 

Respected Contributor

She was a great actress. @Oznell your mention of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" reminds me of something I'd read about Patricia Neal. She regarded the film as a joke, and had a hard time keeping from laughing, to the dismay of her dapper co-star, Michael Rennie (one of my favorite old-time actors).

Ultimately, though, she came to like the film--"adore" it, in her words, and she even appeared at select sci-fi events featuring it.

TDTESS was not only a great science fiction film for its time, but it also withstands the test of time. It's a great thing that PN was proud, in the end, of her role in it.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

That is such an interesting point, @Moonlady.. I think that's true of other, perhaps specialized "genre" films ( in this case, sci fi),  in which the participants think they are engaged in "child's play",  but come to appreciate the finished product, over time.  Especially when there are certain aspects of the production that seem to reverberate with audiences in some obscure, but potent, way, transcending its origins...

Hey, never feel you need hold back, @golding76, always good to hear your opinions!  I am probably going overboard on Pat Neal, but for some reason felt that her sort of "high-bred nervousness" in this and of course her honeyed, glamour mystique carried her pretty far as Dominique.  It's like the young Bacall--  she might not have been the most experienced or even resourceful actress when she started, but she was perfect for what Howard Hawks wanted for the part...   

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  I always appreciate your posts and even more so since I'm home from work for at least the next couple weeks. I remember this movie, but haven't seen it for years. I look forward to seeing it again. Thank you for posting!

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

drizzella,

For a moment I wondered if I should write something negative.  The reason I hesitated is because I do not want to deter anyone from viewing this film; it is a worthwhile experience, after all.

However, I think Patricia Neal delivers one of the most wooden performances of her career in this film.  It plain old stinks!  Sorry, everyone, but that is my response to her.  Love Gary Cooper (naturally). 

@golding76, I wonder whether the leaden material might have contributed to the way she performed. I can't think of any worse writing than that of Ayn Rand.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

But I just can't approach this film in any sort of 'linear' way, @suzyQ3..  In a sense, the eccentric Rand's overwrought vision is more a springboard.  It's director King Vidor's marvelously expressionistic, hothouse, campy, 'reality' here that I find so keenly watchable.   Rand didn't like the movie.

Who can resist my favorite scene, the lavish party in the newly completed Enright building.  When Neal as "Dominique" strides into the action, down that staircase, everything starts to whirl around her.  Ultimately, it's she and Cooper as 'Roark' provocatively dueling with each other.  Ray Collins may be introducing them, and greasing the social wheels of the party, but Neal and Cooper have us riveted.  I think the whole scene, epigrammatical dialog and all, is brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E99cX4of8xQ