Honored Contributor

"THE ENTERTAINER" LAURENCE OLIVIER JOAN PLOWRIGHT WEDNESDAY 6:00 P.M. EASTERN

6:00 p.m. Eastern--  "The Entertainer"  Laurence Olivier, Joan Plowright, Albert Finney, Brenda de Banzie, Alan Bates, Daniel Massey

entertainer-the-1960-001-shirley-anne-field-laurence-olivier-bfi-00n-49l.jpg

Riveting, devastating portrait of a womanizing, hard-drinking English music hall performer on the skids.  Relentlessly gritty adaptation of the John Osborne play.

You can't take your eyes off Olivier, who plays Archie Rice in all his poignant squalor.  Fabulous lights of the English theater fill in around him as his reeling family and associates, but it's Olivier's show all the way. 

Not for everyone, since it is so downbeat, but a must for Olivier fans. I think he's never been better.  That "no holding back" quality that you see in his best, supreme acting, serves him so well here.

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE ENTERTAINER" LAURENCE OLIVIER JOAN PLOWRIGHT WEDNESDAY 6:00 P.M. EASTERN

Have never seen this movie although I know it's highly rated.  Subject matter not my cup of tea but I'll tune in just to see the great LO.

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE ENTERTAINER" LAURENCE OLIVIER JOAN PLOWRIGHT WEDNESDAY 6:00 P.M. EASTERN

Today is Laurence Olivier's birthday so TCM is showing his movies during the day today. Thank you, Oznell for reminding me.

I just watched 21 Days Together. Never saw this movie before. It was made in 1940. The year after Vivian Leigh made Gone with the Wind and Laurence Olivier made Wuthering Heights.

It made me wonder why they made this movie The movie was suspenseful. But Laurence Olivier was not a stellar character in this movie. I enjoyed the movie, it just seemed like a movie they would have made together before they both "made it big".

Honored Contributor

I have viewed this in the past and it had an impact (but I cannot remember it well).

A must-record to view later for me.

Thank you, oznell!

Honored Contributor

Laurence Olivier was in his own category of acting and it's called superb!!!!  He could do it all and of course we all know his role as Heathcliff.  He and Joan Plowright were married also.

I have not seen this movie but will DVR it.  I love social issue movies if you can call it that. They do not bother me as they are life and reality.  I look forward to Olivier's performance and know I will not be disappointed.  Thanks, Oznell.

Honored Contributor

I love your eclectic, adventurous approach to film, @spiderw!

Honored Contributor

A gem of a film, although a bit depressing.  Olivier never fails to deliver.

Respected Contributor

Very dynamic and poignant and sad. Amazing acting.

@Oznell wrote:

6:00 p.m. Eastern--  "The Entertainer"  Laurence Olivier, Joan Plowright, Albert Finney, Brenda de Banzie, Alan Bates, Daniel Massey

entertainer-the-1960-001-shirley-anne-field-laurence-olivier-bfi-00n-49l.jpg

Riveting, devastating portrait of a womanizing, hard-drinking English music hall performer on the skids.  Relentlessly gritty adaptation of the John Osborne play.

You can't take your eyes off Olivier, who plays Archie Rice in all his poignant squalor.  Fabulous lights of the English theater fill in around him as his reeling family and associates, but it's Olivier's show all the way. 

Not for everyone, since it is so downbeat, but a must for Olivier fans. I think he's never been better.  That "no holding back" quality that you see in his best, supreme acting, serves him so well here.