Honored Contributor

"THE EGG AND I" CLAUDETTE COLBERT FRED MACMURRAY WEDNESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

large-screenshot3.jpg

Poor, sophisticated Claudette is understandably dismayed at Fred's dream of life on a chicken farm....

8:00 p.m. Eastern, Wednesday  "The Egg and I"   Claudette Colbert, Fred MacMurray, Marjorie Main, Louise Allbritton, Percy Kilbride, Richard Long

I wonder if there are two more appealing comedic actor choices for a film like this.  Both Fred and Claudette have so much audience "good will" going in-- they're both so likeable, and adorable together too.

Charming, light-hearted comedy about two city slickers in love and learning to survive in the deep country.   One's an enthusiast, and the other--  not so much.  Therein lies the humor.

theeggandi1947.73925.jpg

Terrific supporting cast keeps the tone light and madcap.

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE EGG AND I" CLAUDETTE COLBERT FRED MACMURRAY WEDNESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I have to admit I started watching this and lasted about 15 minutes.  Just too silly for me although I do like Fred and Claudette.  I think this started the Ma and Pa Kettle series.

Respected Contributor

Re: "THE EGG AND I" CLAUDETTE COLBERT FRED MACMURRAY WEDNESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I love that movie and haven't seen it for quite a while. I'll  be watching. Thanks for the reminder.

Honored Contributor

This movie is a fav of DH so we'll be watching for it tomorrow.

Thanks for a reminder because I'm not the best to read the schedule in time.

Esteemed Contributor

I love this movie! Thanks @Oznell  

Honored Contributor

I love this movie and absolutely love anything Ma and Pa KettleSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

large-screenshot3.jpg

Poor, sophisticated Claudette is understandably dismayed at Fred's dream of life on a chicken farm....

8:00 p.m. Eastern, Wednesday  "The Egg and I"   Claudette Colbert, Fred MacMurray, Marjorie Main, Louise Allbritton, Percy Kilbride, Richard Long

I wonder if there are two more appealing comedic actor choices for a film like this.  Both Fred and Claudette have so much audience "good will" going in-- they're both so likeable, and adorable together too.

Charming, light-hearted comedy about two city slickers in love and learning to survive in the deep country.   One's an enthusiast, and the other--  not so much.  Therein lies the humor.

theeggandi1947.73925.jpg

Terrific supporting cast keeps the tone light and madcap.

And Ma & Pa Kettle to boot!

This is the movie when he wakes her at 4:30am (on the farm) and tells her,'c'mon, get up! Half the morning's gone!' hahaha

Honored Contributor

@Judaline,  his cheerful "rise and shine" routine is funny and reminds me of my Dad's propensity for early rising, gack!

Another of the many charms of this is the way Claudette finds to handle that snooty rival for Fred's attentions--  the rich lady who likes him and not her.  

Also the way that tumbledown house gets a makeover and becomes a cozy haven....

Honored Contributor

I'll be watching.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@Judaline,  his cheerful "rise and shine" routine is funny and reminds me of my Dad's propensity for early rising, gack!

Another of the many charms of this is the way Claudette finds to handle that snooty rival for Fred's attentions--  the rich lady who likes him and not her.  

Also the way that tumbledown house gets a makeover and becomes a cozy haven....

Right. I think that was Rita Johnson if I remember correctly-maybe I'm thinking of another movie. It's hard for me to hate her 'cause I love her. lol