Honored Contributor

"THE COURSE OF TRUE LOVE ......"

[ Edited ]

Maybe you're getting outside of your comfort zone with movies during our long detainment.  If you haven't seen the landmark 1935 film adaptation of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" with Olivia de Havilland, Jimmy Cagney and Mickey Rooney, you might want to peek at it.  It's the least intimidating and most fun of Shakespeare plays.

This film is famously trippy!  Full of marvelous lighting effects, and sparkle and pixie dust.  All the actors are having a fantastic time, esp. when let loose in that magical forest... 

10:15 p.m. Eastern, Wednesday TCM--  "A Midsummer Night's Dream".  James Cagney, Olivia de Havilland, D i c k Powell, Mickey Rooney, Jean Muir Joe E. Brown, Ian Hunter, Frank McHugh, Victor Jory, Verree Teasdale, Arthur Treacher, Anita Louise

MIDSUMMER NIGHTS DREAM 3.jpg

Since maybe you won't want to watch the whole movie, here's just a scene where Hermia (Olivia de Havilland) and Lysander (D i c k Powell) declare their love for each other.  How cute is Powell at the end, musically taunting Demetrius whom he has bested in Hermia's affections:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0HHhK_MrWg

Doesn't Mickey Rooney make an almost fiendish little Puck?  Never has he been so "madcap".  It's a very amusing performance:

Look at this little promotional clip that Olivia made, talking about the film.  This is the way young actresses like her, with elegance, self-possession and grace, used to comport themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En9swTqWjLs 

Edited to add--  Now I've done it-- put a movie alert in "Holiday", oh no.  Never fear, "Holiday" visitors-- I will alert mods to move it, pretty please!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "THE COURSE OF TRUE LOVE ......"

@Oznell  This is one of my favorite Shakespeare plays, but I have only seen this adaptation once and loved it! This will be another entertaining way to pass the time. Thank you for posting!😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks @Oznell  for the heads up.  DH loves this movie and I'll be sure to record it.

Mickey is great!  Another underrated actor.

Honored Contributor

Great, @SandySparkles and @kaydee50 !

Honored Contributor

What a glorious costume this is, @Oznell 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Isn't it, @GingerPeach ?   And somehow, the way the costumes were photographed, and the seemingly other-worldly sprinkling of fairy dust over the camera lens, just heightens the effect...  It's all just visually so extraordinary.