Honored Contributor

"THE CAINE MUTINY" HUMPHREY BOGART, JOSE FERRER FRIDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM TCM

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "The Caine Mutiny"  Humphrey Bogart, Van Johnson, Jose Ferrer, Fred MacMurray

Riveting psychological drama in which officers and sailors revolt against a Navy captain (Bogart) whose behavior becomes increasingly irrational as his paranoia deepens.

Another one directed by my adored Edward Dmytryk ("Crossfire",  "Murder, My Sweet",  "Cornered".)

The tension runs high among the men as various crosscurrents are explored during the mutiny, and the explosive court-martial.  And the performances-- it goes without saying that Bogart is good, but MacMurray, Van Johnson, and Jose Ferrer, among others, are stellar.

Then, at a little after midnight Eastern:

12:15 a.m. Eastern--  "I Accuse!"  Jose Ferrer, Anton Walbrook, Viveca Lindfors, Emlyn Williams

Dramatization of the infamous, real life "Dreyfus Affair", a stark example of anti-Semitism, which rocked Europe and the globe in the late nineteenth century.  I have not seen the film, but like so many, have long been fascinated by this complex historical incident.

In a nutshell, Alfred Dreyfus was a young French officer of Jewish background, who was framed on a treason charge and cruelly punished.  French writer, Emile Zola took up the cause and trumpeted his innocence in a scathing document he disseminated, the famous "J'Accuse".   The entire affair was an enormous scandal of anti-Semitism that split France and caused reverberations lasting generations.

If the film is just faithful to the facts of the case, it will be a cauldron of seething drama.

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE CAINE MUTINY" HUMPHREY BOGART, JOSE FERRER FRIDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Whoa, doesn't matter how many times I see this scene, it staggers me--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nNVRclvNuM

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE CAINE MUTINY" HUMPHREY BOGART, JOSE FERRER FRIDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

Oznell, I suspected that would be the scene before I clicked on You Tube.

Just look at Fred McMurray he looks evil.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell@drizzellla

Van Heflin as a gullible newcomer and the non-careerist MacMurray feeling superior to everyone, the backstabbing and manipulations all add to the realism. (My husband was in the Navy 25 years!)  I also love the score.  

Honored Contributor

I've looked in vain for short trailers on youtube and elsewhere for "I Accuse!".   No luck.

And for some reason, my computer won't download the videos that TCM has on it.  However, that doesn't mean other computers won't have better luck with them-- so here's the link and hope it works!

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/468445/I-Accuse-Movie-Clip-Your-Hand-Is-Trembling.html

Honored Contributor

@trenet-- that Navy culture is fascinating.  The stories you could tell, I bet!

Respected Contributor

I know what I will be watching tonight. Thanks
Esteemed Contributor

I can't stand Jose Ferrer.......LOL. I think because I saw him in "Rain" with Rita Hayworth and I hated his character. Plus his voice is annoying.

I love Humphrey Bogart, though.......

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, @YorkieonmyPillow, I couldn't stand him because of the part he played in "Whirlpool",  where he played a clever sharpster who mainpulated klepto housewife Gene Tierney and made it look like she committed murder...

BUT,  I like him in this.  That intensity in the scene I linked, where he's bombed, but not too bombed to tear into the other men-- that's pretty electrifying.  There's so much emotion in that scene...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  I am not sure if I ever saw this version, but I did see the remake with Marlon Brando and loved it, so much that I bought it in VHS, then never watched it, lol, but I think I must one day.  It has a four star rating on amazon.