Honored Contributor

"THE BRIDE WORE RED" JOAN CRAWFORD ROBERT YOUNG WEDNESDAY 4:15 P.M. EASTERN

[ Edited ]

4:15 p.m. Eastern--  "The Bride Wore Red" Joan Crawford, Franchot Tone, Robert Young, Reginald Owen, Billie Burke

Edited to add:  This is on Turner Classic Movies.  (Thanks, @SeaMaiden)

Splashy, sudsy, surprisingly entertaining vehicle for Joan Crawford.  Consider the spot-on casting:  she's a wised-up nightclub singer from the wrong side of the tracks, who gets enmeshed in a scheme to pose as a wealthy aristocrat at a fancy Swiss resort.  Joan must have loved this!  She looks fab in her long bob, wears beautiful clothes and jewels, a bombshell waiting to go off!

Two attractive, widely different men (Robert Young and Franchot Tone-- love both of them) come into her orbit, pulling her in diverse directions-- which way will she go?

Directed by pioneering female director Dorothy Arzner, this is full of eye-filling interiors, costumes, luxe resort living, "ambiance", all the things we like!   Plus crafty counts and countesses, admirals, upward mobility, soapy romantic dilemmas...

Escapist fun!   See glam Joan vamping in a cabaret and being approached by a count to engage her in the imposter scheme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaEyMMIJmyU 

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE BRIDE WORE RED" JOAN CRAWFORD ROBERT YOUNG WEDNESDAY 4:15 P.M. EASTERN

Joan Crawford was married to Franchot Tone when she made this movie. Wonder if that that affected the casting for the movie.

I just happened to look up Joan Crawford on Wikipedia. She was married to each of her 4 husbands for 4 years.

I had heard that the problems between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford began with Franchot Tone. And wonder if the movie was before things deteriorated between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.

Guess I should watch and try to figure it out.

Honored Contributor

That is so interesting, @drizzellla, that she couldn't last longer than 4 years...

I always thought that Crawford and Tone seem like an odd pairing-  they were from two different worlds.  But of course, maybe that was part of the attraction....  He seems to have been drawn to turbulent women, one way or the other.  I really like one of his later wives, the beautiful, very fragile Jean Wallace.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell    What network will this be on? I live in Pacific Time Zone and would like to watch this as I LOVE Joan Crawford movies. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, I'm sorry, @SeaMaiden--  I forgot to tack on "TCM" as the channel!

Thanks for bringing to my attention, and enjoy! 

Esteemed Contributor

My recorder is getting filled with all your good selections. Lucky I have a tv in my bedroom.