Honored Contributor

"THE BRIDE CAME C.O.D." BETTE DAVIS JIMMY CAGNEY THURSDAY 5:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

5:00 p.m. Eastern--  "The Bride Came C.O.D."  Bette Davis, James Cagney, Jack Carson, William Frawley

Dynamic pairing of the two Warner Brothers' titans--  is there more talent anywhere, per square inch, than in the compact combo of Cagney and Davis?   She's an heiress, he's a pilot hired by her father to kidnap her before she makes an undesirable marriage. Result--  fireworks, comedy and ultimately, romance.

Reminiscent of "It Happened One Night", of course, but enlivened by the presence of Bette and Cagney.  His little smirks as he thinks he's "put one over" are worth the price of admission alone...

I find you either "get" Cagney and adore him unreservedly, or you don't.  I'm in the first camp, find him to be brilliantly sure-footed and compelling in everything he's done, whether in something more serious, or in an amusing, escapist trifle like this.  And Cagney with the fabulous Bette???  Energy times two.

Not Shakespeare, but a lovely little romp to take you away from present day realities....

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/984379/Bride-Came-C-O-D-The-Movie-Clip-How-Much-Are-You-Asking-.h...

Respected Contributor

Re: "THE BRIDE CAME C.O.D." BETTE DAVIS JIMMY CAGNEY THURSDAY 5:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Oh I get Cagney and think he was great. As for Bette Davis she was flawless. Joseph Mankiewicz said she was letter perfect. A directors dream: the prepared actress. 

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE BRIDE CAME C.O.D." BETTE DAVIS JIMMY CAGNEY THURSDAY 5:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

We are in complete agreement, dear perceptive @Catiele!

Honored Contributor

I am sure I have watched this movie before BUT I do not remember it.

Today I caught bits and pieces of the movies. It seemed to be the theme of kids putting on a show. There were some very talented kids. 

I also caught a bit of an interview with Carol Burnett. She was talking about funny ladies in the movies. And that is the theme of Thursday night's movies. So after you watch The Bride Came COD, stay tuned for I'm No Angel with Mae West and Cary Grant. Dinner at Eight follows with Marie Dressler, Jean Harlow. I have to watch the movie just to see the one line between Marie Dressler and Jean Harlow.  I hope Carol Burnett is part of the introduction.

I am setting the timer for 5:00 p.m.   Thanks Oznell

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sure, @drizzellla.  I think I know the funny little exchange you enjoy between Marie Dressler and Jean Harlow, the one that occurs where they are walking in to dinner together?  It's hilarious!

(Edited to correct goofy typo.)

Honored Contributor

Love Cagney especially his role as Cohan!!!  Davis is a film legend of course. Two greats of acting , this movie is one to watch and enjoy, an escape into a movie which is still making us smile and feel good!!!

Honored Contributor

@spiderw, you are so right about Cagney in "Yankee Doodle Dandy".  An absolute tour de force for him, and a never-ending delight for his audiences, b/c that's one film you can see over and over again with profit!

Honored Contributor

Watching James Cagney dance down the steps at the White House - never gets old.

And you know what other movie I could watch over and over again - Mister Roberts. Both James Cagney and William Powell had smaller roles. BUT both were so important to the plot.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, what a collection of greats in that cast, @drizzellla, with the people you mention, and fabulous Jack Lemmon too...

Honored Contributor

Oznell

I agree about Jack lemmon being fabulous and always admired his acting,  my two favorite movies of his are the days of wine and roses and the apartment, love!!!