Honored Contributor

"THE BLUE DAHLIA" ALAN LADD, VERONICA LAKE WEDNESDAY 1:30 A.M. EASTERN, TCM

IMG_4415.jpg

1:30 a.m. Eastern--  "The Blue Dahlia"  Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake, William Bendix, Hugh Beaumont, Doris Dowling, Howard da Silva, Will Wright

This is a treat, since TCM doesn't show it that often.  My favorite Alan Ladd movie!  He, "Johnny", and his Air Force buddies (William Bendix and Hugh Beaumont), are back in town after World War II, and he's eager to get back to his wife (Doris Dowling) and civilian life.  But he finds her living it up in a party at their apartment with other inebriated celebrants, and discovers she has been spending time with another man (Howard da Silva), owner of the Blue Dahlia night club.  That, and revelations about their late little son, are almost knockout blows to the sensitive Johnny....

ced9f55e7a7cde29f19ab74298768cda.jpg

No wonder this is so good- novelist and screenwriter Raymond Chandler  ("The Big Sleep", "Double Indemnity", "Farewell My Lovely", "Double Indemnity")  wrote it. 

Love the pairing of soulful Ladd with exquisite Veronica Lake.  The tiny Lake was perfect for him onscreen, as he was not tall. They had a similar "energy"--  their chemistry bubbled away beneath the rather cool, unperturbed surfaces of each.

unnamed.jpg

Great cast, Willliam Bendix, Howard da Silva, Hugh Beaumont (in another of his noir performances, so different from Ward Cleaver).  If Doris Dowling, ex-chorus girl and sister of fellow actress Constance Dowling, is familiar, you might be remembering her as the smitten, alcoholic bar habitue who gets stood up by Ray Milland in "The Lost Weekend".   She's poignant in that.

Utterly satisfying combo of suspense and romance.

Alan-Ladd-Veronica-Lake-The-Blue-Dahlia.jpg

Note to @Judaline --  I do believe that's a glimpse of maybe an I.D. bracelet Alan Ladd is wearing in most of the images.  You were right!

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE BLUE DAHLIA" ALAN LADD, VERONICA LAKE WEDNESDAY 1:30 A.M. EASTERN, TCM

A goodie, for sure.  Before another film featuring Lake, I found Eddie Muller's comments about her very interesting.  Seems like Ladd was one of the few actors who enjoyed working with her.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Right you are! I had visions of a slimmer, cylindrical model, but I guess I'm mixing him up with the Duke. Thank you. Do you love this movie? OMgosh it's the best. I think I know the dialogue by heart (kidding). Isn't Howard da Silva great? Thanks for the great pics-I think Veronica Lake was 4'10" if memory serves.

Honored Contributor

Right all the way, @Judaline -- it is the best!  Interesting you single out Howard da Silva-- I feel he is underrated.  He gives a very richly shaded performance in this, an enigmatic, complex noir-ish character!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Right all the way, @Judaline -- it is the best!  Interesting you single out Howard da Silva-- I feel he is underrated.  He gives a very richly shaded performance in this, an enigmatic, complex noir-ish character!

When you said, "richly, shaded..........." I thought you were going to say voice, lol. Which, actually, would also have been right on!

Honored Contributor

Oh, that voice-- I'd forgotten about that, @Judaline -- agreed, da Silva did have a resonant, deep voice!