Honored Contributor

"THE BIG COMBO" CORNEL WILDE, JEAN WALLACE WEDNESDAY 6:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

6:30 p.m. Eastern--  "The Big Combo"  Cornel Wilde, Jean Wallace, Richard Conte, Brian Donlevy, Helen Walker, Lee Van Cleef

One of my top five film noirs.   From the first moments, when delicate flower Jean Wallace in her filmy, strapless gown flees her pursuers in an echoing stadium, and police lieutenant Cornel Wilde struggles against his attraction to this unlikeliest of mob mistresses, you are hooked.  The brash, insinuating jazz score that opens the movie is your earliest clue that this is going to be great.

Compelling, at times very dark, raw storytelling at its best.   This is a rather late noir, mid-Fifties, and there's an air of deep cynicism and the knowingness that haunted some films in the late Atomic age (see "Kiss Me Deadly"). 

Spoiler
Yet the ending manages to relieve bleakness and suggest at least hope!  Very unusual noir.

All the performances are memorable, the aforementioned Wilde, Wallace, and of course, Conte, as the egotistical gangster to end all gangsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1UxXkXwsVQ

And if you miss it, just google and it streams live, for free.

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE BIG COMBO" CORNEL WILDE, JEAN WALLACE WEDNESDAY 6:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Here's the full-length movie for those who don't get TCM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuWokTKOMWg

I've linked this before, but can't stand the thought that there might be one film noir fan out there who has missed out on it!  It's not shown that often.

It's one film about which the critics rave, which does actually deserve the hoopla.

Honored Contributor

Never seen or even heard of this one.  Will check it out.

I do see that The Naked City is on.  That is one I have seen and will watch again.  Excellent movie.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50, I love the gritty, documentary-style drama of "The Naked City" too!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

6:30 p.m. Eastern--  "The Big Combo"  Cornel Wilde, Jean Wallace, Richard Conte, Brian Donlevy, Helen Walker, Lee Van Cleef

One of my top five film noirs.   From the first moments, when delicate flower Jean Wallace in her filmy, strapless gown flees her pursuers in an echoing stadium, and police lieutenant Cornel Wilde struggles against his attraction to this unlikeliest of mob mistresses, you are hooked.  The brash, insinuating jazz score that opens the movie is your earliest clue that this is going to be great.

Compelling, at times very dark, raw storytelling at its best.   This is a rather late noir, mid-Fifties, and there's an air of deep cynicism and the knowingness that haunted some films in the late Atomic age (see "Kiss Me Deadly"). 

Spoiler
Yet the ending manages to relieve bleakness and suggest at least hope!  Very unusual noir.

All the performances are memorable, the aforementioned Wilde, Wallace, and of course, Conte, as the egotistical gangster to end all gangsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1UxXkXwsVQ

And if you miss it, just google and it streams live, for free.

@Oznell  Imagine my never having heard of this movie.  I may have seen it before, but don't remember the title.  From your description, I bought it for $6.36 on ebay as I don't get TMC.

Honored Contributor

Cool, @mousiegirl!  You have an advantage with a DVD, too.  There are a few select places where events get too violent, and if you're like me, you can fast forward right through them!  A handy feature to have when watching some of the "darker" film noirs...

When you're ready, will look forward to your review...