Honored Contributor

Re: "THE BIG CLOCK" RAY MILLAND MAUREEN O'SULLIVAN SATURDAY MIDNIGHT AND SUNDAY 10:00 A.M.

@just bee wrote:

I've always liked Ray Milland.  The Lost Weekend is also on TCM's schedule.

Will DVR both...

@just bee   Funny you write this, because as I read the thread title, I thought to myself, 'I've always hated Ray Milland."   It's because the first film  ever saw him in was Dial M For Murder, and given his role, I hated him ever since!   

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE BIG CLOCK" RAY MILLAND MAUREEN O'SULLIVAN SATURDAY MIDNIGHT AND SUNDAY 10:00 A.M.

Yeah, @Pearlee, he was so nefarious in that.  Give him another chance, though!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   Well I've seen him in lots of movies since.  He always looks smarmy to me, and I'm sure it's due to Dial M.

Honored Contributor

It's interesting with Ray Milland;  I hadn't thought about this before, but he does quite often play flawed characters.  He's flawed in "The Big Clock"--  you see that in the long, flirtatious episode with Rita Johnson-- there's "weakness" amid the more admirable qualities.  His wife is certainly well aware of that!  (From what I've read, his character is even more "compromised" in the Kenneth Fearing novel on which this is based.)  But he's also been "wronged" in this movie, and he's resourceful, determined, smart and appealing in a lot of ways...

And his character in "The Lost Weekend" is another very mixed bag.  That handsome, mask-like visage of Milland's (he's almost criminally good looking, isn't he?) lends itself especially well to ambiguity, maybe...

Honored Contributor

This movie sounds like a good one and I will be taping it.  I love the cast and always regarded Laughton as a great actor, loved him in The HunchBack of Notre Dame of course.  I appreciate the acting of  Elsa Lanchester's , she is always superb!

I  know I will love the settings and will be paying attention to details as I enjoy doing in most movies!  Thanks for the heads up, Oznell !

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

It's interesting with Ray Milland;  I hadn't thought about this before, but he does quite often play flawed characters.  He's flawed in "The Big Clock"--  you see that in the long, flirtatious episode with Rita Johnson-- there's "weakness" amid the more admirable qualities.  His wife is certainly well aware of that!  (From what I've read, his character is even more "compromised" in the Kenneth Fearing novel on which this is based.)  But he's also been "wronged" in this movie, and he's resourceful, determined, smart and appealing in a lot of ways...

And his character in "The Lost Weekend" is another very mixed bag.  That handsome, mask-like visage of Milland's (he's almost criminally good looking, isn't he?) lends itself especially well to ambiguity, maybe...

@Oznell  I first watched Ray Milland in "The Lost Weekend" which I saw about 15 years ago.  I've followed him ever since and enjoyed "The Big Clock" too. Nice looking man as well.  Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell
Oh this looks like a goodie! I've never seen this. Thank you, as ever, for sharing so many tasty tidbits about this movie. I adore Elsa Lancaster's voice! She's such a gifted actress. (Never could picture her married to Laughton, though!)
Ray M. IS "almost criminally handsome!" Great quote. Love his voice, too.
Looking forward to this one! 🕠 Thanks again! 💚
Trusted Contributor

My most sincere apologies to the late, great Elsa Lanchester for misspelling her name above!
Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
My most sincere apologies to the late, great Elsa Lanchester for misspelling her name above!

That's ok, just go back and change it!

Honored Contributor

Eddie did good!  Woman Wink

The noir season started off with a real winner.  

I was wondering why our hero was spending so much time with his blonde friend, but it was all explained by Eddie as having actually been toned down from the novel.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.