Honored Contributor

"THE BIG CLOCK" RAY MILLAND MAUREEN O'SULLIVAN SATURDAY MIDNIGHT AND SUNDAY 10:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

Saturday midnight Eastern and Sunday 10:00 a.m. Eastern:

BigClock1.jpg

"The Big Clock"   Ray Milland, Charles Laughton, Maureen O'Sullivan, Rita Johnson, Elsa Lanchester, George Macready, Harry Morgan

Provocative late-Forties' film noir, set in the sophisticated, cutthroat New York media world.  Ray Milland is a restless writer in the mammoth press organization of megalomaniac Earl Janoth (Charles Laughton).   The huge company is housed in a downtown building dominated by a gigantic, looming, somehow sinister clock.

milland-the-big-clock-1948-crop.jpg

Recognize Harry Morgan (later beloved "Colonel Potter" in "MASH"),  in the dark suit to the right of Laughton:

the-big-clock-md-web.jpg

Milland wants more freedom to spend time with his wife (Maureen O'Sullivan) and young son, and Janoth wants him on the job, so the conflict is long standing.  One boozy afternoon, Milland unexpectedly joins forces with Janoth's glamorous, alienated mistress (Rita Johnson).  When circumstances escalate and murder enters the picture, Milland is forced into leading a bogus and very dangerous press investigation to uncover the miscreant...

By the way, the set design is great-- lots of luxe, Forties' "moderne":

clock 08.png

This is a very unusual, highly atmospheric noir, with snappy writing, and even comedy.  Based on a novel by the respected Kenneth Fearing.  The cast is fabulous.  Laughton is almost too well cast as the corrupt, power-obsessed media baron-- he must have loved this role!  I'm always impressed by thready-voiced Brit George Macready, here in the perfect toadying sidekick role to Laughton.

Interestingly, there are two real-life married couples in the film--  Director John Farrow prevailed upon his semi-retired wife, Maureen O'Sullivan, to play Milland's wife.  And of course, there's Laughton and Lanchester.  Elsa Lanchester is magnificent comic relief here as a bohemian kook.  Good job, "Noir Alley"!

9b770bfa81be91cd45e704f9a6498dc1.jpg 

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE BIG CLOCK" RAY MILLAND MAUREEN O'SULLIVAN SATURDAY MIDNIGHT AND SUNDAY 10:00 A.M.

Sounds like a goodie!!  I'm a fan of Milland, Laughton and Lancaster so I will check this one out.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: "THE BIG CLOCK" RAY MILLAND MAUREEN O'SULLIVAN SATURDAY MIDNIGHT AND SUNDAY 10:00 A.M.

Thanks for the heads up, @Oznell . I caught the last forty minutes of it once .  Even though I know the ending, I liked it so much, I want to watch it again from the beginning.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just don't remember this one. I thought you were talking about The Clock with Robert Walker and Judy Garland, lol. 

I always liked Rita Johnson. Ever since My Friend Flicka I think, wayyyyy back. She has a way about her.

I also do not see this on my channel listing. Will check again.

Thanks for such an informative description @Oznell . As always!

ETA George MacCready made a great Nazi. Saw him in that role more than once.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline wrote:

Just don't remember this one. I thought you were talking about The Clock with Robert Walker and Judy Garland, lol. 

I was thinking the same thing. I do not remember "The Big Clock". But have seen "The Clock". I kept looking for Judy Garland's name to pop up. 

Look forward to watching "The Big Clock".

Honored Contributor

I've always liked Ray Milland.  The Lost Weekend is also on TCM's schedule.

Will DVR both...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

And, what an ending, right, @lrmuffin?!   (We won't breathe a word.)

Trusted Contributor

🤫

I’ll just say it’s a great film, well worth watching, @Oznell .

Honored Contributor

Hey, I've never heard of this guy, Joe Dante, have any of you?  Anyway, apparently he gives incisive, succinct little trailer reviews of films, and it turns out "The Big Clock" is one of his favorites.

He goes so far as to say, "The Big Clock" is one of the best films of the 1940's.  I like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is5jZPlMFn8

Honored Contributor

For some reason, though, the actual film quality of the clips used was crummy.  Here's a clip from the film that shows how sharp and well done John Farrow's camera work is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52ewxwruBuM