Honored Contributor

"THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL" KIRK DOUGLAS LANA TURNER SUNDAY 3:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

3:15 p.m. Eastern--  "The Bad and the Beautiful"  Lana Turner, Kirk Douglas, Barry Sullivan, Gloria Grahame, Walter Pidgeon, D i c k Powell

Torrid tale of succeeding and failing in Hollywood, this film always strikes me as three or four engrossing movies in one.  Kirk Douglas is the ruthless producer who walks over colleagues (e.g. Sullivan) and romantic partners (e.g. Turner) alike.  D i c k Powell is a wry novelist with an unstable wife (Grahame) who get caught up in the Tinseltown swirl along with countless others.

Lana is poignant in this, as a vulnerable struggling actress tasting career success and heartbreak at the same time;  reportedly, her character was based on that of Diana Barrymore, who like Lana's character, had a complex, sad relationship with her own father, John Barrymore.

Slickly directed by Vincente Minelli.

Honored Contributor

Re: "THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL" KIRK DOUGLAS LANA TURNER SUNDAY 3:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Love this movie!  And Lana is someone who, IMO, was underrated as an actress.  The supporting cast is also outstanding.  I think Gloria G win an Oscar for best supporting actress.

Valued Contributor

Re: "THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL" KIRK DOUGLAS LANA TURNER SUNDAY 3:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Thanks for the heads-up...this is a movie I haven't seen! My recorder is set.

Honored Contributor

So true about the cast, @kaydee50, they really are outstanding, and make this film work on an emotional level, beyond just the sensationalist aspects...

Esteemed Contributor

This is a good one!  Thank you again @Oznell