Highlighted
Honored Contributor

"TENSION" RICHARD BASEHART, AUDREY TOTTER FRIDAY 10:15 A.M. EASTERN TCM

10:15 a.m. Eastern--  "Tension"  Richard Basehart, Cyd Charisse, Barry Sullivan, Audrey Totter, William Conrad

If you're in the mood, don't miss this very sharp little suspense/noir!   I really like this one, and it's not aired that often.

Richard Basehart is a southern Californian, in a very precarious marriage.  His wife is provocative noir siren Audrey Totter, who is serially promiscuous.  When he finally decides to take action against one of her paramours, someone else beats him to the punch.  But will Basehart be fingered for the crime by shrewd police detective, adorable Barry Sullivan?

This is a noir with interesting characters, Fifties' California atmospherics, and nifty performances by Basehart, Totter, and Sullivan.  One can only wish there were more of consummate character actor and talented director, William Conrad (he of later "Cannon" TV fame).

Here, Basehart and aspiring photographer Charisse "meet cute", after he assumes his new identity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rDnLIXxctM 

Honored Contributor

Re: "TENSION" RICHARD BASEHART, AUDREY TOTTER FRIDAY 10:15 A.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell wrote:

10:15 a.m. Eastern--  "Tension"  Richard Basehart, Cyd Charisse, Barry Sullivan, Audrey Totter, William Conrad

If you're in the mood, don't miss this very sharp little suspense/noir!   I really like this one, and it's not aired that often.

Richard Basehart is a southern Californian, in a very precarious marriage.  His wife is provocative noir siren Audrey Totter, who is serially promiscuous.  When he finally decides to take action against one of her paramours, someone else beats him to the punch.  But will Basehart be fingered for the crime by shrewd police detective, adorable Barry Sullivan?

This is a noir with interesting characters, Fifties' California atmospherics, and nifty performances by Basehart, Totter, and Sullivan.  One can only wish there were more of consummate character actor and talented director, William Conrad (he of later "Cannon" TV fame).

Here, Basehart and aspiring photographer Charisse "meet cute", after he assumes his new identity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rDnLIXxctM 

@Oznell   I am watching this right now, had never heard of it, but it is pretty good.

Honored Contributor

Oh, good, @mousiegirl!  I'm not sure why it isn't better known.  The actors and story are quite engaging...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, good, @mousiegirl!  I'm not sure why it isn't better known.  The actors and story are quite engaging...

@Oznell   Murder, My Sweet, is now beginning. Smiley Happy  Love Thursdays film noir.

Honored Contributor

While I may not be familiar with certain films, I give them a chance if they sound good and they often turn out to be hidden gems.  Periodically I check out the movies on TCM and DVR the ones which interest me.  There are always the greats, the ones you have seen so many times and then there are the question marks which often become a great movie!!!   Thanks.Oznell, for your recommendations, they are always welcome.

Honored Contributor

I look forward to the intelligent, well-considered commentary you provide on the various films we watch, @spiderw!