Honored Contributor

Re: "Shane"-- Alan Ladd, Jean Arthur TCM 8:00 p.m. Eastern

Hi NAES,  how is your recovery coming along?  Steadily, I hope.  Yes, the r'ship between Jean Arthur and Alan Ladd is so well done here-- so much of it is subtle, and oblique, but you can sense the feelings.  And her husband, Van Heflin, in his own way, is aware that his wife's attention is divided, but he loves and trusts her.  It's all so beautifully done!

TexasMom1, you are my go-to now for all things "Jean Arthur".   "Talk of the Town" was super.  And loved her with Grant again in "Only Angels Have Wings", the great Howard Hawks movie about a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants little airline company...

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Hi NAES,  how is your recovery coming along?  Steadily, I hope.  Yes, the r'ship between Jean Arthur and Alan Ladd is so well done here-- so much of it is subtle, and oblique, but you can sense the feelings.  And her husband, Van Heflin, in his own way, is aware that his wife's attention is divided, but he loves and trusts her.  It's all so beautifully done!

TexasMom1, you are my go-to now for all things "Jean Arthur".   "Talk of the Town" was super.  And loved her with Grant again in "Only Angels Have Wings", the great Howard Hawks movie about a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants little airline company...

@Thank you for asking, @Oznell ...

Have some questionable PT that has been offered much earlier, but too sore to try 'anything' that could cause a flare up to the area where the bone (femoral side) is separated from the cartilage -I am almost there with surgery to suture what cannot heal by the body alone.  I am under two doctors' care to ease the pain when the inflammation rears its ugly head. No fractures, though!

I have to admit that the careless backing up into the kitchen counter, being stunned from the hit did cause me to lose all possibility finding anything to hold on to, preventing me from falling on my (R) side.

My husband could have caught my fall; he was shocked to be that far away from me and never heard me call out from the other side. Within a nano second.

Honestly, I did not believe the ' whoops ' was that severe from mid March until around the first of June when symptoms began. I have never had a fall in my life. 

* Will update you when I see the physical therapist or orthopedist........With a "what comes next" accessment.

Had a 3 hour- full back and side-mri. How fun that was........

Can do our lower level stairs but am shying away from any long walking travels outside.  Did drive for 30 minutes last week and had no problems. Standing in one position is a slight nuisance - OUCH. I do have help coming in for anything major. Have a bit of work to complete with this. Careless NAESWoman Surprised

@Oznell,

Very glad to hear from you. See you at the movies.

GREAT MOVIE!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the update, NAES.  You certainly have had a difficult time.  Those falls can be so nasty.  Am glad you are keeping so close to the doctors overseeing you and ready to take whatever steps are needed for rehabilitation.  Take care, and here's to ongoing (if slow) recovery.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell

Yup, Shane is yet another one I had to write about.  I'm starting to think my high school instructor is working as program director for TCM.  At age 87...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Oh, my, Shane! Come back! I recorded this a while ago. Loved it. I remember my dad, out of the blue, would call, 'Come back, Shane, come back.' We all loved that movie. He was one of a kind, Alan Ladd. That deep voice-you'd never know he was not a tall man in that movie. He had it. I'm a big fan of the Ladd/Lake movies. Talk about film noir! The Blue Dahlia is probably my favorite.

As for Jean Arthur. She was different. Looking up her movies, I saw an article, 'Jean Arthur-the star nobody knew.' I wonder what that was about as I didn't read it.

I love these 3

Image result for Jean arthur/charles coburn

Honored Contributor

judaline, me for "The Blue Dahlia too!  You're so right Alan Ladd had "it" whatever "it" is!

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, just bee, it sounds like that's entirely possible!