Honored Contributor

Re: "SWEET NOVEMBER" SANDY DENNIS, ANTHONY NEWLEY SATURDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I meant to comment on your tantalizing tidbits about Sandy Dennis, @Somertime, but had to break for a coughing fit and other mundane items...

I knew about Gerry Mulligan--  Rex Reed did a very revealing profile of her when she was married to Mulligan.  He indiscreetly mentioned that there were cat hairs on the glasses of ginger ale she served, and I think the couple were a bit miffed at him for that!   (She was apparently a big animal lover.)

Married to a jazz musician like Mulligan,  and later involved with Eric Roberts (which I didn't know)--  totally fits my "bohemian" image of her!

Honored Contributor

Re: "SWEET NOVEMBER" SANDY DENNIS, ANTHONY NEWLEY SATURDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Sandy Dennis made several movies and she was great in the dramatic role in Virginia Wolff as the comedy, the Out of Towners with Jack Lemmon.  I remember being sad when she passed, she was different and appealing as an actress and made her mark.

Anthony Newley's version of  What Kind of Fool Am I is the most memorable one. 

I remember both Newley and Dennis well and they are worth seeing in this movie, both talented and part of movie history.

Honored Contributor

oznell,

Yesterday, on a lazy Sunday afternoon, I watched my recording of Sweet November.   Oh yes, there was something charming and magical about the pairing of Sandy Dennis and Anthony Newley.

Does anyone else find it difficult not to melt when Dennis allows her upper lip to fall down and endearingly cover her slightly Bugs Bunny front teeth?  I do not mean this disrespectfully, please understand.  Sandy Dennis was sui generis.

The tenderness of her nature emerges in her voice, her speech patterns, her visage as well as her gentle way of reaching out to others.

How I loved this movie, oznell.  Thank you for alerting us to it.

Honored Contributor

Oh, good, @golding76, it has that idealism and free-spiritedness that I think are your metier...

Honored Contributor

Uh oh, someone's been peeking into my soul.  LOL

Respected Contributor

Sorry I missed this!  Loved her in "The Out-Of-Towners," and recently, "The Four Seasons" has been shown on one of the cable channels.

I knew she was an animal lover - She lived in a neighboring town, and whenever interviewed, she was always surrounded by cats.