Honored Contributor

"SUSPICION" CARY GRANT, JOAN FONTAINE SUNDAY 4:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

suspicion1.jpg

4:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Suspicion".  Cary Grant, Joan Fontaine, Sir Cedric Hardwicke, Dame May Whitty, Nigel Bruce, Leo G. Carroll, Isobel Jeans

Who doesn't enjoy a good Hitchcock "marital doubts" thriller?  Poor 'English Rose' Joan, is smitten with her ambiguously behaving, irresponsible charmer of a husband (Cary, at the height of his renegade allure and charismatic screen presence), and starts to wonder if he has dire motives.

Is she paranoid?  Did the writing of the script tilt midstream to favor a different conclusion to the one we're expecting?  No matter-- it's a fun ride, with Hollywood's illustrious stock company of expat Brits filling out an excellent cast, and lots of moody black and white camera work.

unnamed.jpg   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "SUSPICION" CARY GRANT, JOAN FONTAINE SUNDAY 4:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Very enjoyable film. You need to suspend realistic thinking and just go with the flow of the plot. Cary Grant was gorgeous.

Honored Contributor

One of my favorites

Honored Contributor

The novel is a heck of a lot better then the movie.  The book is about a killer seen through the eyes of the victim.  from beginning to end.  Hitchcock was forced to change the enindg by the Hays Censor board that evil must never win.

Honored Contributor

It's an intriguing movie with a very poor ending.  I liked Nigel Bruce as Cary's friend.  Joan was good at playing meek, befuddled wives ala Rebecca which is the much better film, IMO.

Trusted Contributor

Wonderful movie! They just don't make films like this anymore! 

Frequent Contributor

I wish that TCM would show "Notorious" and "Rebecca" as much as they show Suspicion. This coming from a person who enjoys "Suspicion" and never tires of watching it. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Yes,  a great film, but yet another one that TCM airs to death. There is no more suspicion left once you have seen it over and over. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   I've already got this one taped.

I want to thank you for recommending Witness for the Prosecution which I watched last night.  I now have a new favorite film....total joy watching and savoring every moment!  Charles Laughton...such a gift.  Much appreciation for your recommendation.  

Super Contributor

@Oznell  another good one I can't watch...no TCM.  Great movie, I have seen many times!  Anything Hitchcock, count me in!