Honored Contributor

"SUDDENLY" FRANK SINATRA, NANCY GATES THURSDAY 8:45 A.M. EASTERN TCM

8:45 a.m. Eastern--  "Suddenly".  Frank Sinatra, Sterling Hayden, Nancy Gates, James Gleason

Not the first time I've alerted this, but such good suspense!

The U.S. president is going to be passing by train through idyllic small-town California, and malevolent forces know this.  Sinatra, a surface charmer, but a deeply sociopathic hit man, has wormed his way into a family's house in order to have a perfect shot at the President.  Widow Nancy Gates, her father-in-law James Gleason, and ultimately, her beau, hunky lawman Sterling Hayden, have to find some way to stymie the evil intent. 

45910.large.jpg

This is a showy role for Sinatra, and he's eerily good in it.  I'm usually made too uneasy by "home invasion" or "hostage" type movies, but this one is fast moving, with the individuals involved using their wits to overcome a seemingly impossible plight.  Zippy entertainment, and fun Fifties ambiance.

Contributor

Re: "SUDDENLY" FRANK SINATRA, NANCY GATES THURSDAY 8:45 A.M. EASTERN TCM

I've never seen this movie and it looks so interesting.    Frank never made a bad movie, he was an excellent actor.

Thanks

Honored Contributor

I so agree, @laundrycat -- he was terrific, and wait till you see him in this...

Honored Contributor

This is a good movie and Sinatra plays his role well.  I am a Sinatra fan as far as his music is concerned, love his saloon songs, when he sings you feel.

I love him in the musicals  of course, Pal Joey, Tender Trap, Guys and Dolls etc.  But I always felt his potential as a dramatic actor.  Man With a Golden Arm is a favorite of mine  Manchurian Candidate, Von Ryan's Express and this movie, Suddenly were great roles for Sinatra.  

Honored Contributor

Definitely, @spiderw ,  that soulful quality in his singing translates to high impact in his dramatic roles.  Love him in "The Manchurian Candidate" too!