Honored Contributor

Re: "STRANGERS ON A TRAIN" FARLEY GRANGER, RUTH ROMAN MONDAY 4:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell   I love this movie!  I watch it periodically, had recorded it eons ago, then bought it on DVD.  I never see it on tv.

By the way, last year you mentioned the movie Angel Face, and I posted that I had just seen it on Movies, then realized that it was another movie.  Well, recently is was played on Movies, didn't watch it all because one of my favorite shows was on, but it will be replayed so will try to catch it then.  I thought his wife, who I only saw when he called her to say he wouldn't be home, then went out with Jean Simmons, was much prettier, but then it isn't all about looks in a relationship.

Honored Contributor

Re: "STRANGERS ON A TRAIN" FARLEY GRANGER, RUTH ROMAN MONDAY 4:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Yeah, @songbird ,  Patricia Highsmith has come in for her share of criticism over the years, esp. over her amoral killer "Ripley", and the stance she seemed to take toward him...

Honored Contributor

Oh, good, hope you see it soon, @mousiegirl .  That girl he ditched for Jean Simmons was his girl friend, rather than his wife.  She was pretty devastated, but she did all right in the end!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

Yeah, @songbird ,  Patricia Highsmith has come in for her share of criticism over the years, esp. over her amoral killer "Ripley", and the stance she seemed to take toward him...

She liked to go against convention.  Picture the 1950's.  She wrote books about a lesbian couple that had a happy ending. (The Price of Salt)  The traditional accepted view for lesbian couples (if they're were any...this is the 1950's after all)) is to suffer.  Killers that get away with it.  Not just once, but over and over. (The Ripley novels)   I think that reflects real life.  Plenty of them that got away with it. there isn't 100% justice for all. I'm happy the way they were so faithful to the Ripley novels. They were never be able to get away with it with faithful representations of novels in to movies then. the moral concept of the 1930's, 1940's, 1950's that evil should under no circumstances be permitted to win.  She was an amazing writer. '

Think of the book, The Bad Seed.  In the movie, the child was killed off because she was evil.  In the book, the child lives, delighted in her evil ways.  In the new version of the Bad Seed (Baby Teeth) our little killer gets away with it.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I think many agree with you, @songbird ,  and Highsmith has always had a cult following.  I just personally don't like it, in art or otherwise, when evil is lionized.  It was her attitude toward Ripley's killing that 'kills' it (ha) for me, at least as I remember it.

I remember having the same philosophical objection to that TV show "Dexter" when it came on--  the attitude toward murder.  Can't countenance it. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Yes, I think many agree with you, @songbird ,  and Highsmith has always had a cult following.  I just personally don't like it, in art or otherwise, when evil is lionized.  It was her attitude toward Ripley's killing that 'kills' it (ha) for me, at least as I remember it.

I remember having the same philosophical objection to that TV show "Dexter" when it came on--  the attitude toward murder.  Can't countenance it. 

A lot of Highsmith's book are actually satire.  the Ripley books are.  Most people are familiar with the first one.  But there are 4 more.  Mr Ripley is anybody you want him to be.  Gay, straight (2nd book Mr Ripley is married to a wealthy women & step father.) & sleeps with various women)

Honored Contributor

I remember when growing up my cousin who was a teenager loved Farley Granger, he was her heart throb as they used to say!!!!!  

I love this movie and have seen it a few times.  I think the acting is great and I agree with you, Oznell, about Ruth Roman.  I always liked her roles and she played them so well.  I consider Strangers on a Train a Hitchcock classic as I do many of his other films.

Occasional Contributor

Great movie but I have to say that ElizabethTaylor and Montgomery Clift in A Place in the Sun were the most beautiful screen couple ever!