Honored Contributor

"SPARTACUS" KIRK DOUGLAS, JEAN SIMMONS SATURDAY 2:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

2:15 p.m. Eastern--  "Spartacus"  Kirk Douglas, Laurence Olivier, Jean Simmons, Peter Ustinov, Charles Laughton, John Gavin, Tony Curtis, Nina Foch, Herbert Lom, Charles McGraw, Woody Strode, Joana Barnes, Harold J. Stone

(I love this image of some of the cast-- they're all meticulously in costume, and in the right setting, but some seem to be "breaking character" by smiling happily for the camera, ha...)

Directed by Stanley Kubrick, one of the most interesting and ambitious of "ancient world" epics, and based on actual historical events. 

The back story to this film is incredibly complicated --  it was apparently conceived out of Kirk Douglas's disappointment that William Wyler had chosen Charlton Heston to be his "Ben-Hur", rather than Kirk.

Kirk Douglas is "Spartacus",  a defiant and courageous Greek slave who leads a revolt against the ruling Romans of the first century B.C.  The story posits that the slave rebellion was a prelude to the massive, positive changes in attitudes toward human rights that would dawn in the world with the coming age of Christianity, right around the corner.  Despite degradation, Spartacus had an unshakeable belief in his own inherent worth and that of others in subjugation.

Kirk and Jean Simmons fall in love and persevere through all the tumultuous events to come.  The cast is extraordinary, studded with luminaries like Olivier, Laughton and Ustinov.

Speaking of the ever-mischievous Peter Ustinov, I must link to his hilarious, catty account of the making of the film once more (for any who plan to watch the film).  His stories, accents and impressions of the others, like Laughton, are priceless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3nrheg0In0

The history, sometimes difficult personalities, and complications of the production of this movie make for absolutely riveting reading in Brittanica.com or in wiki--  almost as entertaining as the final product on screen!

Honored Contributor

Re: "SPARTACUS" KIRK DOUGLAS, JEAN SIMMONS SATURDAY 2:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

The abomination of humans calmly assessing, and purchasing, other humans, so perfectly conveyed here.  Peter Ustinov as the prospective "buyer" and Kirk Douglas as the silent "commodity",  so good here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCfWXNmFFbM

Honored Contributor

I remember my girlfriend and I seeing Spartacus when it came out in the movies and at the end crying.  It has a fantastic cast and the acting clear through keeps you focused.  Everyone is so good in their roles, it kept us as young girls focused on this extravaganza!

I have seen Spartacus a few times since and still enjoy it. 

Honored Contributor

You reminded me of the power of that ending with your anecdote about crying over it as a young girl, @spiderw.  Apart from the "epic" quality it has, it's a very moving human story....