Honored Contributor

"SPARKLE" IRENE CARA LONETTE MCKEE DORIAN HAREWOOD THURSDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

10:00 p.m. Eastern--   "Sparkle".  Lonette McKee, Irene Cara, Dwan Smith, Philip Michael Thomas, Dorian Harewood

(Disclaimer--   Years ago, I was captivated by my favorite critic, Pauline Kael's review of this cult classic.  I've seen just snippets of the film, but what I've seen, I've liked.)

Although remade later with Whitney Houston, the original, Seventies "Sparkle" teems with vitality and and a feel for the earlier period in which it is set. 

It's Harlem in the Fifties, and there's a singing girl group of sisters (Lonette McKee, Dwan Smith, Irene Cara)  whose talent just can't be contained.   With the help of a neighborhood would-be suitor to youngest sister Sparkle, (Philip Michael Thomas), the girls follow a tried and true path from obscurity to stardom.

Of course there is heartbreak as well as success.  The different personalities of the sisters pull them in different directions.  Over all, there is the driving Curtis Mayfield music, and the potent charisma of the performers themselves.  If you like Lonette McKee in this, seek out "The Cotton Club"--  her talent has been under-used in films, but luckily she is multitalented in several fields, including songwriting and directing.  Other standouts here are the lovely, wistful but dynamic young Irene Cara, Philip Michael Thomas, and Dorian Harewood.

This clip shows the group performing at a local venue at the very beginning of their career-- their raw, unmistakable talent lacks the "gloss" of later scenes, but is all the more impactful:

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/1436825/Sparkle-Movie-Clip-Jump-Curtis-Mayfield-Composition-.html

Honored Contributor

Re: "SPARKLE" IRENE CARA LONETTE MCKEE DORIAN HAREWOOD THURSDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I have never seen this movie, but would like to!

Honored Contributor

Re: "SPARKLE" IRENE CARA LONETTE MCKEE DORIAN HAREWOOD THURSDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell wrote:

10:00 p.m. Eastern--   "Sparkle".  Lonette McKee, Irene Cara, Dwan Smith, Philip Michael Thomas, Dorian Harewood

(Disclaimer--   Years ago, I was captivated by my favorite critic, Pauline Kael's review of this cult classic.  I've seen just snippets of the film, but what I've seen, I've liked.)

Although remade later with Whitney Houston, the original, Seventies "Sparkle" teems with vitality and and a feel for the earlier period in which it is set. 

It's Harlem in the Fifties, and there's a singing girl group of sisters (Lonette McKee, Dwan Smith, Irene Cara)  whose talent just can't be contained.   With the help of a neighborhood would-be suitor to youngest sister Sparkle, (Philip Michael Thomas), the girls follow a tried and true path from obscurity to stardom.

Of course there is heartbreak as well as success.  The different personalities of the sisters pull them in different directions.  Over all, there is the driving Curtis Mayfield music, and the potent charisma of the performers themselves.  If you like Lonette McKee in this, seek out "The Cotton Club"--  her talent has been under-used in films, but luckily she is multitalented in several fields, including songwriting and directing.  Other standouts here are the lovely, wistful but dynamic young Irene Cara, Philip Michael Thomas, and Dorian Harewood.

This clip shows the group performing at a local venue at the very beginning of their career-- their raw, unmistakable talent lacks the "gloss" of later scenes, but is all the more impactful:

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/1436825/Sparkle-Movie-Clip-Jump-Curtis-Mayfield-Composition-.html

This is a really good movie and good music too.  Thank you for posting.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell   @CANDLEQUEEN   I have seen both versions of this film. Each of them has a stellar cast and the actors do a superb job but the story was changed a little for the remake with Whitney Houston. I prefer the latter script but since I had seen the original years before, it still holds a place in my heart and in my movie library. The soundtrack for the original is incomparable.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

Thank you, Oznell.  Heads-up much appreciated!

Honored Contributor

@Tique, I haven't seen the Whitney Houston version, but it sounds good also, as I can well imagine, with her in it-- thanks for your assessment...

Esteemed Contributor

Great movie and music that I have watched many times, however I didn't care for the remake with Whitney and Jordan at all.

Honored Contributor

Oh my!!   The teenage me just came to life again!  This movie has been one of my favorites.  Dorian Harewood was my dream man for at least two decades because of this movie! Plus Philip Michael Thomas and the stunning Lonette McKee -- simply wonderful.

Respected Contributor

I've seen the original and the remake. IMO, the Whitney Houston version is OK, but if you haven't seen the original with Irene Cara...please do!

Honored Contributor

🎶 Giving Him Something He Can Feel 🎶

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz-R8jKP-84

EnVogue's version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJWFlvvqZ9k (Can you spot Dorian Hayword?

Ree Ree's (The original version)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOgr18KmJM

Sparkle remake version is not worth posting.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif