Honored Contributor

"SLEEP, MY LOVE" CLAUDETTE COLBERT, ROBERT CUMMINGS, DON AMECHE FREE STREAMING

"Sleep, My Love"--   Claudette Colbert, Robert Cummings, Don Ameche, Rita Johnson, George Coulouris, Hazel Brooks

411d774de8821edf292e4c96c594580f.jpg

Slim pickings on TCM prompt me to recycle this romantic thriller, that streams free on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V_USk4SnBo

In the tradition of "Suspicion" and "Gaslight", and directed by Douglas Sirk before his huge international fame. 

Claudette is a wealthy New York socialite, seemingly happily married to Don Ameche.  But little things keep happening, like she wakes up on a train to Boston, with no memory of how she got there...

Luckily, adorable Robert Cummings comes into her life, and helps her cope with her new existence of memory losses, a sense of foreboding, and a strangely controlling psychiatrist her husband brings in to assess the situation.

Claudette Colbert is one of my favorites, and this light-as- souffle actress was surprisingly adept at film noir.  I never tire of classic romantic suspense, with solid performers who can deliver, like Robert Cummings.  Terrific supporting performances too, including Rita Johnson in a daffy, "good friend" turn, and slinky Hazel Brooks as an insolent, Bacall-like femme fatale.

MV5BNmU2MDIzYWUtZDNkOS00MDA0LTlhNDAtNGY1NjgxYWM2YmVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTk5NzQ5Ng@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,794,1000_AL_.jpg

If you can tolerate watching movies on your computer, a great choice for classic film fans.

Honored Contributor

Re: "SLEEP, MY LOVE" CLAUDETTE COLBERT, ROBERT CUMMINGS, DON AMECHE FREE STREAMING

Thanks...

Never seen this one.  I downloaed it to burn later.

Even though I have a 30" comp screen, I do not watch movies on my comp unless I hook it up to my tv.  Otherwise, I burn them onto a DVD.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Re: "SLEEP, MY LOVE" CLAUDETTE COLBERT, ROBERT CUMMINGS, DON AMECHE FREE STREAMING

This is a wonderful movie and well worth watching again...Thanks for sharing @Oznell 

@Mz iMac I hope you enjoy once you download!!!!

Honored Contributor

Oh, yeah, @Mz iMac and @GAQShopr53,. isn't it great to have multiple ways to access classic movies now?  I love it!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, yeah, @Mz iMac and @GAQShopr53,. isn't it great to have multiple ways to access classic movies now?  I love it!

Since Comcast is moving TCM to a premium sports bundle, I can't help but wonder if FIOS will eventually do something similar.

So I will gladly check out any of the movies, Oznell, that you recommend on you tube or where ever you find them. That is one thing that I appreciated about TCM. Movies I never had seen or heard of before, quickly went on my list of favorites.

Honored Contributor

Oh, no, @drizzellla, will you be affected by that misguided Comcast move?   We're on DirecTV, so not affected as far as I know, (at least for now-- who knows in the future), but I'm dismayed that so many devoted TCM watchers will now have their channel snatched away unless they go for the revamped package. 

Reminds me of the "New Coke" fiasco.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, no, @drizzellla, will you be affected by that misguided Comcast move?   We're on DirecTV, so not affected as far as I know, (at least for now-- who knows in the future), but I'm dismayed that so many devoted TCM watchers will now have their channel snatched away unless they go for the revamped package. 

Reminds me of the "New Coke" fiasco.

We got rid of Comcast many years ago. We were one of the first neighborhoods to get FIOS. In fact they had to bring a guy from New York (I live in PA) to install it because the local guys were not able to install it. 

We recently went on vacation. And some of the hotels had Direct TV. None of them had TCM. Guess we will see.What is the expression - One thing you can count on, is change.

Funny you mentioned "New Coke". Coke brought it back for a limited time earlier this year. To promote a show on Netflick "Stranger Things". 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell I seem to remember bits and pieces of this movie. What came to mind as I read your summary was that Robert Cummings, years later, had a similar role in Dial M for Murder. Maybe that's why Hitch chose him for the part? Who knows. I love Rita Johnson in her type-cast role but never heard of the slinky Hazel Brooks. I will try Netflix for this movie 'cause I don't do the computer thing and I'm very happy with my Netflix by mail. Yesterday Claudette Colbert was on Lux Radio Theater in Magnificent Obsession-didn't like that one but just listening to CC's voice makes me happy, hahaha. Figure that one out-I can't.

Honored Contributor

I hadn't thought of that, @Judaline -- you're right on the mark with the comparison of Cummings' role in "Dial M for Murder"!  He could be kooky, but there is something in his persona on film that's also kind of reassuring and sweet and all-American.  He's very likeable in that way also (but quite a different role of course) in Hitchcock's "Saboteur"....

Of course you like Claudette Colbert's voice-- she had a great voice!  Big part of her appeal, I think.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for this great heads-up, @Oznell.  Like @Judaline, I've seen bits and pieces over the years.  I am a huge Don Ameche fan, think he is tremendously underrated.  One of the most natural actors ever.  Really!  Always underplays beautifully, just like Loretta Young.  (in fact, if you want an example of subtlety even w/actors playing acutely against type, you MUST check out the poignant "Ramona" (1936).  Ameche and Young's characters are Indians!   Lovely performances! (and the musical score always makes me cry)  And the ending......oh, my, break out the Kleenex.