Honored Contributor

Re: "SINGIN' IN THE RAIN" GENE KELLY DEBBIE REYNOLDS THURSDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Agreed, they are a terrific resource for us, @pdlinda !

Honored Contributor

Re: "SINGIN' IN THE RAIN" GENE KELLY DEBBIE REYNOLDS THURSDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@spiderw wrote:

The Singin' In the Rain segment of that movie is one of my favorite musical acts.  Gene Kelly nailed it , perfect in every way, the song, singing and dancing, excellence!  It makes me happy and I sing along and feel good.  If a movie can do that for me, it definitely is a winner !!!!!!

I read an article about the filming of that sequence. Alot of work went into those few minutes. First, Gene Kelly's suit was made out of wool. And after being drenched in water the suit began to shrink. 

They could not film it at night. There is too much light from outside the set that would affect the lighting. So they put a huge tarp on top of the set. This kept all outside lighting out. But it also made the set hot. By having the set completely enclosed and sun shining on the tarp.

And through it all Gene Kelly was singing and dancing. He made it look like so much fun. Guess he was a better actor than we ever thought.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've seen this sooo many times that last night's viewing was from a somewhat technical viewpoint.

Can you imagine how many times this was rehearsed so every move was flawless, yet appeared so easy and natural??

And yes, Jean Hagen was essential for the humor!

Denise