Honored Contributor

"SINGIN' IN THE RAIN" GENE KELLY DEBBIE REYNOLDS THURSDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

MV5BMTQ4MjI4NDkwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzc4MzU5MTE@._V1_.jpg

10:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Singin' in the Rain"  Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds, Donald O'Connor, Jean Hagen

Gene's solo dance is perennial perfection, and he, Debbie and O'Connor have some other truly show-stopping numbers together.  The magic touch of Stanley Donen is evident everywhere in this top-drawer production.

And at 2:00 a.m. Eastern, my favorite, the magnificent Fred Astaire, appears in "The Band Wagon" to sweep Cyd Charisse off her feet.   It's a night for great musicals.

6e4197c6-bad1-11e6-b1a9-d0a597083a8f_1280x720.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: "SINGIN' IN THE RAIN" GENE KELLY DEBBIE REYNOLDS THURSDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I have an image in my mind about Gene Kelly dancing with a woman, they both jump on the back of a love seat and tip it over backwards.

Honored Contributor

Re: "SINGIN' IN THE RAIN" GENE KELLY DEBBIE REYNOLDS THURSDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

And at midnight, Friday, the 19th, Brigadoon.  Not a great production but a romantic story and super Lerner and Loewe music.

As great as the 3 leads are in Singin' IMO Jean Hagen was perfectly cast.  What a hoot!  I can't stand it!

Valued Contributor

According to Gene Kelly's then-wife, he had flu-like symptoms on the day he had to film his iconic dance routine in the makebelieve rain. One would never suspect that he was unwell.

Valued Contributor

Yes, so many great dance numbers in Singin' in the Rain - a fun movie for sure.

Honored Contributor

I just love that movie. I could watch Gene Kelly dancing in the rain over and over again.

Brings back a fond memory. Years ago during the summer, I was working in the yard. It started to rain and to tell you the truth, it did not bother me. The temperature was high and I wanted to finish pulling the weeds. My son was about 5 years old and was outside with me. He briefly went into the house and came right back out with an umbrella. 

He then proceeded to start singing, "I'm Singing in the Rain". Then it started coming down pretty good. So he was even jumping in the puddles. I wish I had taken pickures of that. 

Guess I watched "Singin in the Rain" more than I realized with him.

Honored Contributor

Image result for make em laugh gif

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

A precious memory, @drizzellla !

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell   I must thank you for getting me onto TCM.  I have the cable for over 25 years and, for whatever reason (I don't know), I NEVER watched this channel.

A few months ago, you had a post about "The Way We Were" appearing on TCM and it lit a spark in me to record it.  I thought for sure, there would be "commercial breaks" and other annoyances; however, I was wrong.  I actually saw the entire movie like I did in the theater years ago!

From that day on, I'm "hooked" on this FABULOUS channel and have relived my youth and young adulthood with movie classics, like "From Here to Eternity," "On the Waterfront" and other classics that have enhanced my life (especially during the pandemic) immeasurably.  I just watched "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" with Eliz Taylor and Paul Newman yesterday and "Marty" the night before and enjoyed each much more than when I saw each in the theater so many years ago.

Again, thank you so much, for your movie recommendations (I just recorded "Singin' in the Rain!")

The entertainment I have enjoyed from TCM surpasses my wildest expections!

Honored Contributor

The Singin' In the Rain segment of that movie is one of my favorite musical acts.  Gene Kelly nailed it , perfect in every way, the song, singing and dancing, excellence!  It makes me happy and I sing along and feel good.  If a movie can do that for me, it definitely is a winner !!!!!!