Honored Contributor

"SHIP OF FOOLS" VIVIEN LEIGH SIMONE SIGNORET SATURDAY 3:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

MV5BNDVlMTVjNGItZjUyOS00MTIwLTg0YmQtNTlmMDZjYWE4NmI1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_.jpg

3:15 p.m. Eastern--  "Ship of Fools"   Simone Signoret, Oskar Werner, Vivien Leigh, Jose Ferrer, Lee Marvin, Michael Dunn, George Segal, Elizabeth Ashley, Werner Klemperer, Charles Korvin, Lilia Skala, Jose Greco, Barbara Luna

Acclaimed novelist Katharine Anne Porter's blockbuster novel brought to the screen.  The film received 8 Oscar nominations for its portrayal of emotion-tossed passengers on a fateful ship sailing from Mexico to Bremerhaven, Germany, in 1933 at the height of Nazi pre-war build-up.

The ship is a cauldron of anti-Semitism, deception, cruelty, and thwarted romance, among other things, all under a glamorous social veneer. 

For me, the standout couple is, of course, Oskar Werner and Simone Signoret.  As sensitive ship's doctor, he is sympathetic to the world-weary contessa's plight-- she is an addict, and she is suffering.  Over his treatment of her, the two bond, and a very tender love develops....   the two are magnificent together.

MV5BMDMxYjAzMzItNzBlZi00YzFhLTljNTItNmI1YzE4NTdhZDNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

But almost all the passengers have fascinating back stories, that come to light as the turbulent ship beats on toward its destination...

t3bXP5pUnckfoJ8WonlvAGovCun.jpg

Among the Oscar nominations:   Best Picture, Best Actor (Oskar Werner), Best Actress (Simone Signoret), Best Supporting Actor (Michael Dunn).

MV5BNWM1NjRhYTgtODEyZC00OWZmLTk1MDYtYjNmNmExMDJjN2RlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: "SHIP OF FOOLS" VIVIEN LEIGH SIMONE SIGNORET SATURDAY 3:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Original trailer, with intro by director Stanley Kramer.   This film is so 'up the alley' of the film buffs here-- I'm always surprised that it garners not that much notice. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUFQYnMCwaQ

Honored Contributor

I had to look up what Academy Awards that it won. And found this - Ship of Fools won Academy Awards for Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Black-and-White (Robert Clatworthy, Joseph Kish), and Best Cinematography, Black-and-White (Ernest Laszlo)

I thought it would have won more, especially Oskar Werner.

I watched "Ship of Fools" about 2-3 weeks ago. Maybe it was on the Movies channel. And what a cast of characters on that boat. And I think every actor played their part so well. That is why I thought it would have won more Academy Awards.

It had been awhile since I watched it. I am glad I did. 

Honored Contributor

I so agree, @drizzellla --  they deserved even more Oscar wins than they got!   And you're so right--  Oskar Werner was robbed!