Honored Contributor

"SHANE" ALAN LADD, JEAN ARTHUR SATURDAY 4:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

4:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Shane"   Alan Ladd, Jean Arthur, Van Heflin, Brandon de Wilde, Jack Palance, Elisha Cook

Mysterious, epic, psychological western-- the western for even those who don't like westerns.  Alan Ladd, Jean Arthur, Van Heflin are perfect in a subtle, unspoken love triangle.  Little Brandon de Wilde, so poignant an example of hero worship.  Jack Palance exudes villainy.  Staggering cinematography.  Nominated for 5 Oscars.  Irreplaceable Jean Arthur's last film.

Please see previous synopsis here:

https://community.qvc.com/t5/TV-and-Movies/quot-Shane-quot-Alan-Ladd-Jean-Arthur-TCM-8-00-p-m-Easter...

Honored Contributor

Re: "SHANE" ALAN LADD, JEAN ARTHUR SATURDAY 4:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

My son was named  SHANE, because my husband loved this movie.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

My son was named  SHANE, because my husband loved this movie.

Even apart from the movie, I love the name Shane, @goldensrbest.  Thank you for sharing that about your son. 

@Oznell, I once looked up how many times the name "Shane" was spoken during the movie. I can't remember now, but it seems like it was over 100!

Valued Contributor

A classic for sure. Everything about the movie was done so well...the casting, script, direction, the beautiful scenery. Young Brandon de Wilde had a way of stealing the scenes he was in. The movie was filmed in the Tetons - I visited the Tetons back in the 1980's - it is spectacularly beautiful!

Question...did Shane die or live at the end of the movie when he rides off and Joey calls after him? I choose to think he lived but I know some people think he died.

Honored Contributor

Love that bit about your son's name, @goldensrbest!

@Ruby Laine,  wow, interesting-- I'm not surprised.  He''s the pivot point around which the whole film revolves, isn't he?  And who doesn't hear Brandon de Wilde crying over and over, "Shane"!!

Oh, put me down for 'he lived', definitely, @cimeranrose!

Trusted Contributor

@cimeranrose wrote:

A classic for sure. Everything about the movie was done so well...the casting, script, direction, the beautiful scenery. Young Brandon de Wilde had a way of stealing the scenes he was in. The movie was filmed in the Tetons - I visited the Tetons back in the 1980's - it is spectacularly beautiful!

Question...did Shane die or live at the end of the movie when he rides off and Joey calls after him? I choose to think he lived but I know some people think he died.

I don't know.  When he's riding away, he looks like he's slumped over in his saddle, wounded.  The movie is beautiful, perfect casting.  I have never seen a better performance by a child than Brande de Wilde.  

I highly recommend reading the novel by Jack Schaefer.  After Shane saves the defenseless homesteaders, he heads back into the remote mountains, sacrificing himself to loneliness.  

Honored Contributor

Taking note of your novel recommendation, @walkingal, thanks!

Trusted Contributor

This was a wonderful movie. Too many good things to say about it. 

Valued Contributor

I agree about Brandon de Wilde's performance @walkingal . I had the movie on last night while I prepared dinner and at the end of the movie the TCM host said Brandon was nominated for a best supporting actor. Brandon was also in a little known Disney movie I like called "Those Calloways" from 1965 starting Brian Keith and Vera Miles. His love interest in that movie was the lovely Linda Evans. It's sad Brandon de Wilde died so young at age 30 from a vehicle accident.

Honored Contributor

Agreed, @walkingal and @cimeranrose,  Brandon de Wilde was an excellent child actor and juvenile star with an unfolding talent, cut down way too soon.