Honored Contributor

"SHADOW ON THE WALL" ZACHARY SCOTT, ANN SOTHERN SUNDAY 12:15 A.M. AND 10:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

Quarter past midnight tonight and 10:00 a.m. Sunday--  "Shadow on the Wall"   Ann Sothern, Zachary Scott, Nancy Davis, Gigi Perreau, Kristine Miller, Tom Helmore, Barbara Billingsley

image-w856.jpg

Yay, noir fans!  Eddie not only picked a good one, but it's not been shown umpteen times.  In fact, I've only seen snippets of it myself, not the whole thing...

This thriller has everything--   fab Zachary Scott (hope you're listening, @Judaline!),  shadowy crime, amnesia, perennial fave Ann Sothern, psychiatry, etc.

A little girl (Perreau) is a witness to her adulterous stepmother's (sultry Kristine Miller) murder, but is traumatized and experiences amnesia.  The child's father, conscience-stricken Zachary Scott, believes he committed the murder, and is indeed tried for it.  Thank goodness for determined, dedicated psychiatrist Nancy Davis (Reagan) who treats the little girl and probes for hidden answers....

1950-film-title-shadow-on-the-wall-director-pat-jackson-studio-mgm-F6HTTG.jpg

It's neat to see Nancy Reagan in one of her earlier roles.  In real life, she was often perceived to be aloof and self-protective, perhaps, but it's nice to see her inner warmth in parts like this.  I sometimes wondered if her often mother-deprived, tumultuous, insecure early childhood played a major factor in her facade.  (Armchair analysis over, ha.)

Ann Sothern also gets to stretch in a part that casts her against her humorous, Everywoman type.  And watch for Barbara Billingsley (the Beaver's mom, "June Cleaver" in a small role...

Just a super choice for "Noir Alley". 

Valued Contributor

Re: "SHADOW ON THE WALL" ZACHARY SCOTT, ANN SOTHERN SUNDAY 12:15 A.M. AND 10:00 A.M. EAST

What a write-up, @Oznell!  You have such flair. I saw this movie several years ago and loved it. Zachary Scott is just yummy. I have my DVR set and ready. 

Thanks for for the heads up. 

Honored Contributor

Re: "SHADOW ON THE WALL" ZACHARY SCOTT, ANN SOTHERN SUNDAY 12:15 A.M. AND 10:00 A.M. EAST

I like this one too, I remember that shadow on that wall!!

Honored Contributor

Sounds like a good one. I can't wait to watch it. I do not think I have ever seen it.

The synopsis reminds me a bit about a movie with Bobby Driscoll "The Window" made in 1949. The theme of kids witnessing a murder. And then the kid being caught up in the drama.

I bet I won't fall asleep watching this movie.

Honored Contributor

And the nice thing about "Noir Alley",  @drizzellla, is that even if you do fall asleep the first time, they run it again @ 10:00 a.m. Eastern...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

always remember him as the cad in Mildred Pierce.

Although, he was good in the 'southerner' playing a dirt poor farmer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell   I don't remember this movie, may have seen it eons ago, but it sounds very good.  I wish the Movies channel would stop rerunning movies over and over and over, and run the movies TMC does,.

Honored Contributor

He was great in everything, @SharkE!   Loved him as Ann Sheridan's deceived hubby in "The Unfaithful".   He was also wonderful in "Ruthless",  "Born to be Bad",  "Cass Timberlane" with Lana, and "Whiplash"....   Never can have enough of Zachary Scott...

Honored Contributor

Yeah, probably a book on him some wheres. LOL Have to Google him

My sister adores George Sanders.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, going to tape.  This looks amazing!  I love Ann Southern.  Anxious to see Nancy Reagan also.