Esteemed Contributor

Re: "ROUTE 66" TAKES A SHARP TURN TONIGHT!

lol! @Pearlee ,

that's just goofy!

How old were you?

(Sorry for following you off topic. Let me think of away to swerve this thread back on course....hmmm....)

I think I liked Corbett better than Maharis. That broody moody aire of mystery that Maharis' character exuded appealed to my sister. I thought it was hammy.

Honored Contributor

Well, it was a cool, somewhat kooky and enigmatic first episode, par for the course!  At least what I saw of it, didn't get to see every bit.

That taking off into the night, in the open convertible, young people off to the next adventure, with that famous tinkling jazz theme banging away--  that's heady stuff!

For anyone interested, FETV (channel 323 on my DirecTV system) runs this every Saturday and Sunday, at 6:00 p.m. Eastern and 7:00 p.m. Eastern.

Honored Contributor

I LOVE that theme song. Sometimes I record a rerun just so I can hear it.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge
Teenager
Honored Contributor

Oznell,

Thanks for the insight to such a great series.  I loved Rt. 66 and and watched it when it was on TV as did many others as I remember it being a big hit.  I think one of my favorite parts was when the theme song played during their rides.  I love so many of the old theme songs from TV and movies.  I have the Rt. 66 song on a CD and I always think of the series when I play it.

Honored Contributor

I've lived at both ends of Route 66.....and have driven on many miles of "the original"..............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

I don't have FETV, but I remember watching Route 66 on Nick at Nite long ago and more recently, maybe a year or two ago, on one of the nostalgia channels.

When Glen Corbett replaced George Maharis, I remember thinking that the first few Corbett episodes had potential, but the stories fell off rapidly to become very disappointing.

On a related note, I fell asleep with the TV on last night and woke up in the middle of the night to see George Maharis in an episode of Police Story. Maybe it was his voice that woke me up. Woman LOL That episode was followed by another episode of Police Story with Glenn Corbett. I am totally unfamiliar with that series, but apparently they are showing a lot of episodes on H&I channel.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  - Just wanted to give you an alert - FETV has removed Route 66 from their fall schedule which takes effect Monday, Auigust 26th.   They will show four more episodes - two each next Satuirday and Sunday.

Good thing you have taped some episodes - LOL!!  I also taped some since they have been on this summer. I did see the one you mentioned with Todd and the homeless boy.   I was a fan of George Maharis and didn't enjoy the episodes as much after he left the show.

Honored Contributor

Oh, thanks for the heads-up, @twinsister.   I remember you helpfully filling me in on all things "Route 66" when it first cranked up this time on FETV!

Let's let each other know if either of us sees the series pop up again (as I'm sure it will) in future...

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  - will do!!