Honored Contributor

"ROMAN HOLIDAY" AUDREY HEPBURN GREGORY PECK SUNDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

8:00 p.m. Eastern--   "Roman Holiday"  Audrey Hepburn, Gregory Peck, Eddie Albert

Utterly charming, bittersweet comedy-romance, from director William Wyler, whose impeccable theatrical taste and mastery of nuanced feeling make all his films a must-watch.

Runaway royal princess, (Audrey Hepburn) from an unnamed monarchy, takes beautiful Rome by storm during a visit.  She breaks away from all the stifling protocols, runs loose in the city, and of course encounters enterprising reporter Gregory Peck.  He wants the story, but settles for sudden, revelatory affection...

Spontaneous, graceful Audrey is a delight, whether ditching her long hair for stylish cropped curls, or scooting down Roman streets on one of those mosquito-like little bikes.  The audience roots for her new-found freedom, and new-found romance....

Love rough-and-tumble Eddie Albert as a photographer.

Most of all:

Spoiler
Love the complex, ending scene of renunciation, in which Audrey has returned to the royal fold, but must endure a public press conference in which she is effectively saying good-bye to a smitten Gregory Peck.  In finding her duty, she knows what she has irrevocably lost.

It's a deeply meaningful scene with so much unspoken, but clearly evident.

Please note, "Roman Holiday" is followed by "Princess O'Rourke" @ 10:15 p.m. Eastern.  It's a quieter, 1940's plot precursor to 1953's "Roman Holiday".  This time, Olivia de Havilland is a lovely European princess who encounters a much earthier, exceedingly attractive American (the always-adorable Robert Cummings).  Fun.   

Respected Contributor

Re: "ROMAN HOLIDAY" AUDREY HEPBURN GREGORY PECK SUNDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Loved the movie and the cast. She lived her life well . Such a giving woman. Look at that tiny waist!

Honored Contributor

I rooted for the romance and loved Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck as a couple!! You could tell at the end how much they were in love !   This is a classic Hepburn movie! 

Honored Contributor

Yeah, @Catiele and @spiderw,  she was such a standout, both then and now.  Apparently they had considered Elizabeth Taylor, among others, for the role of the princess, but I think, with her delicacy and elfin humor and sense of romance, that Audrey was the absolute ideal choice for the role.

They also wanted Cary Grant at first for the reporter, but he felt he was too old at the time.  I don't agree, would have liked to see him do it.  We already know he could easily pull off "brash newspaperman" from his wonderful characterization in "His Girl Friday"!

Honored Contributor

I've never liked Roman Holiday. I think for me the problem is lack of chemistry between Peck and Audrey. IMO Peck was miscast (and I love him!).
Esteemed Contributor

Hello ~hello @Oznell ,

I have missed you...

I've been doing a lot of hometown messaging from our local 'little' journal through emails, reference to many abandoned cats and dogs...as in have you seen them, or 'is this one yours'? 

Roman Holiday: my husband had watched ( lower level) ...just came up asking me if I had seen this?  Yes, to that about five times, also  told him you had a review on it, earlier.

As I mentioned, he had not seen it.

For myself, wondering how you thought Cary Grant would /or could be considered G.Peck's role> 'NEWSMAN' with her?

You mentioned yes, and I disagreed. Asked my husband and he definitely said no no- NO. 

Peck has a certain romantic sincere quality that Grant just never had -of course that's my sizing up deep a careful opinion. 

I never thought of Grant as cuddly with tenderness, having THAT  caressing nature.

AH & GP had chemistry. The Eyes.

Although,  remembering that G.Peck appeared older than Hepburn, he was perfect for that character.

......... And, yes, Grant always has that older serious personality to me.... Men did not look as aged in their 30s, 40s as women did, THEN.  Call me out as incorrect... I thought the movie was so much fun.

I do give 5 stars for Eddie Albert. Call me old fashion, but Grant would never caused me to drop my popcorn.

"...... My husband did! And that's the way it was"....... 

I learned about palliative chemistry through Walter Huston.... adored him even though I was very young, he was much older, but he had it.

Men usually do not lose that rawness of a loving ``Has It`` 

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell ,

Time for me to go to bed after being up for so many hours, also, muti- tasking the homeless animal shelters league.

All day, I was doing reports of Hospice when I typed out palliative/ ref: / Walter Huston...No, I meant 'palpable'  chemistry... excuse me if anyone was thinking that I was noting dying, OF anything!

I use the word constantly, so it comes often wrapped in by consistency.  However, I did catch it when reviewing.

OOPS OOPS  And another OOPS!  

GOOD NIGHT .....

appears we each had different opinions which makes the thread that much more interesting.  

Honored Contributor

Boy, don't we all do that when writing, @NAES1?  Good thing we know enough to back like you did and catch it with an editor's pen!

Agreed, it is fun to have contrasting reactions!   On this one, I'm more on the @Pearlee side, and you and hubby on the other side.  I didn't for some reason, care much for the romantic pairing of "Audrey and Greg".   Although, I think they both were very much up to that remarkable, final parting scene at the press conference I mentioned.

Cary Grant was very physical and "outward",   but I maintain that he had reserves of tenderness, yearning, and a slightly wounded quality that often came out around the edges....

Keep up your wonderful work for the animals, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and hubby!