Honored Contributor

"REMEMBER THE NIGHT" BARBARA STANWYCK, FRED MACMURRAY SUNDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

10:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Remember the Night".  Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck, Beulah Bondi, Sterling Holloway, Elizabeth Patterson

ca-times.brightspotcdn.com.jpeg

Luminous, memorable Christmas tale in which a thief (Stanwyck) gets taken home to the country family home of the assistant D.A. (Fred MacMurray), who winds up being responsible for her, over the holidays.  (It's kind of convoluted in the telling, but crystal clear on screen.)

Stanwyck's reactions to being invited into this home help form the heart of the film;  her interactions with Fred's insightful mother (magnificent character player, Beulah Bondi) and family are revelatory.  It's one of the most heartfelt examinations of simple, Christmas love on film.

Terrific chemistry between the two principals.  Stanwyck's deceptively tough, wounded street urchin, and Fred's slightly opaque, ambitious but soulful young lawyer, play very interestingly against each other.

Trusted Contributor

Re: "REMEMBER THE NIGHT" BARBARA STANWYCK, FRED MACMURRAY SUNDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell  "Remember the Night" is not showing up on my guide...the schedule says "Gandhi" from 8-12.

I'm disappointed : (

Trusted Contributor

Re: "REMEMBER THE NIGHT" BARBARA STANWYCK, FRED MACMURRAY SUNDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell   Please disregard my previous post......I was looking at tonight's schedule rather than Sunday : )

Honored Contributor

Oh, whew, good, @Irish1210!   I'd hate for you to have to miss it.

Sometimes I put in alerts a day ahead, just so enough people who love a film will have a chance to find out it's on and not miss out on it.  It can be confusing though, so glad you're on the right track with the time!

Honored Contributor

I had seen that in my Tivo guide and check marked it don't remember seeing it. don't care for Fred McMurray he was suppose to had been a tightwad LOL

Honored Contributor

Oh, he's cute in this, @SharkE . No wonder he was frugal-- his time as a poor, traveling musician (saxophonist?) probably taught him to hang on to his money!

Valued Contributor

Thanks, @Oznell!  I would have missed it, and I love that one. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

This film is one of my favorites at this time of year.

I love Fred MacMurray, "tightwad" or not. Woman Very Happy

He certainly invested well, particularly in all that real estate along the Russian River, sold to the Gallo family after Fred's death. One of Fred's daughters has been the spokesperson for the MacMurray winery; not sure if she is still doing this, but I remember her from a few years ago.

I'll get out one of my bottles of MacMurray wine to enjoy along with the movie.

Respected Contributor

@OznellSo incredibly different from their characters in Double Indemnity.  What fabulous actors they were!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads up, Oznell !  Any movie Stanwyck is in is a hit in my book!  She was one of the greats in the film industry and a legend!  My DVR is set!