Honored Contributor

"RED RIVER" JOHN WAYNE MONTGOMERY CLIFT JOANNE DRU SATURDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Red River"--   John Wayne, Montgomery Clift, Coleen Gray, Walter Brennan, John Ireland, Joanne Dru

Why a Western?  Why THIS Western?   It's epic.  It's definitive-- an almost anthropological view of the vanished days of cattle drives, but a compelling personal family drama as well.   In my book, one of the three essential westerns for students of film--  "Shane" and "The Searchers" being the others.  (Feel free to challenge and rout my opinion with your own choices.)

Brilliant sweeping cinematography of the West.  Magnificent Dmitri Tiomkin score. But the core for me is the wracked, fraught relationship between John Wayne (in a terrific, "warts and all" performance,) and his adopted son (Montgomery Clift).  Their father-son struggle has a Shakespearean, almost Biblical weight.  Adding in Walter Brennan as perennial comic sidekick and the drive's cook makes them a cracked, dysfunctional "family".

Wayne's a stubborn autocrat, Clift's the upstart young thinker and challenger.  Amidst all this epocal struggle, here's my favorite, tiny scene, remembered across decades from my first, childhood viewing of the movie.  John Wayne, in a little glimpse into the tenderness within, gifting his mother's bracelet to his force-of-nature sweetheart (Coleen Gray), before he must leave her behind.  Dear, unforgettable, esp. in light of all the events to follow.

Directed by the masterful Howard Hawks.  This film was selected by the Library of Congress for preservation for being "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant". 

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/430809/Red-River-Movie-Clip-Good-Beef-For-Hungry-People.html 

Huh.  Every so often the TCM clips go squirrelly and won't let me post the proper clip.  I've clicked on the one above, and it goes to a completely irrelevant place at TCM.   Grrrr.  Will try again.

Honored Contributor

Re: "RED RIVER" JOHN WAYNE MONTGOMERY CLIFT JOANNE DRU SATURDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]
Honored Contributor

Re: "RED RIVER" JOHN WAYNE MONTGOMERY CLIFT JOANNE DRU SATURDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Guess that is why it is on at 8 o'clock on Saturday night. The time slot of the what used to be The Essentials. I doubt I ever saw Red River. But I will be watching.

About a year or two ago I saw Stagecoach for the first time. I have been missing out on some gems.

Besides I also want to see Joanne Dru, she was married to ****** Haynes.

Honored Contributor

take em to Missouri

Honored Contributor

One of my fav's since The Duke is my hero.  I cant stand Joanne Dru's character in this show.  She is a bi^ch.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@OznellAgree with your assessment of Red River but not in my top three.  Along with the 2 you mentioned, Shane and The Searchers, I would put High Noon.  Another Dimitri Tiomkin score--a classic-- and I love it when Grace Kelly gets the bad guy.  That is my favorite scene!!!

Valued Contributor

Yes, @Oznell, Red River, Shane, and The Searchers are all good westerns. I would also add "Hondo" with John Wayne and Geraldine Page.

I appreciate and agree with your comment about the "glimpse into the tenderness within" John Wayne. It seems no matter what film he made, you could always glimpse that tenderness within John Wayne somewhere in a movie. (One of his movies I like that you can really see that tenderness come through is "Rio Grande".  Some of those scenes he did with Maureen O'Hara were very touching). John Wayne also had a good sense of humor that would shine through in his movies too.

I read an interview recently that someone did with his son Patrick Wayne. Patrick's love for his dad comes through in the interview. John Wayne seems to have been a loving dad.

Honored Contributor

TCM had an interview with Maureen O'Hara. She talked about working and partying with John Wayne. They really seemed to be good friends. And it sounded like both were quite the character. And both enjoyed and had fun living.

On another note - I am finding more and more of the movies that a really enjoy watching over and over again, have the same group of Directors.

Honored Contributor

Fascinating responses.  I love that you, @cimeranrose, and you, @kaydee50, have your own favorites to add to the Western "canon" of must-watch essentials.

Same here, @drizzellla-- I have an affinity for certain directors for sure.  Patterns start showing up.  For example, I can fall for a Siodmak film virtually every time, without knowing he directed it-- same with Fritz Lang, Welles, etc.

For those of us who adore John Wayne, this article mentions Joan Didion's famous piece on him, "John Wayne:  A Love Story", and quotes it at length.  She captures his mystique so well, and also interviewed him for her piece and went to dinner with him and Pilar Wayne and cast members one memorable evening.  But you have to read her whole essay.  I'd encourage you to seek it out.  It's in her fabulous book of essays, "Slouching Toward Bethlehem".

https://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/2011/10/cowboy-columnist-joan-didion-3-john-wayne/