Honored Contributor

"RED DUST/MOGAMBO" DOUBLE FEATURE NOON SATURDAY TCM

It may be true that John Ford's blockbuster love triangle "Mogambo" with Clark, Ava and Grace is almost too frequently aired-- you can have too much of a good thing!

Red_Dust.jpg

But it was actually a remake of "Red Dust",  so TCM was clever to pair them today as a double feature.  Clark is the common denominator to both movies, 20 years apart!

Noon Eastern--  "Red Dust".   Clark Gable, Jean Harlow, Mary Astor, Donald Crisp.   The locale (French Indochina plantation country) and some circumstances are different, but there's still a trio of charismatic performers and smoldering romance. 

(By the way, I think Clark looks fabulous without his mustache.  Gable was an acquired taste for me-- I originally accepted critic Pauline Kael's rather condescending view of him.  But as astute as she was in some areas, I think she was ill-equipped to evaluate the appeal of a Gable or a John Wayne...)

1:45 p.m.--   "Mogambo".  Clark Gable, Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly.     Big game hunter (Clark) is desired by both the limply married Grace Kelly, and the earthy sybarite, Ava Gardner.  Stunning, elemental Africa, with its unforgettable scenery, animals, people and music, is the seething backdrop to the drama played out on safari.

I'm queasy watching movies with hunting, admittedly.  But this is so good I can overlook those few scenes in enough time.  Ava is so perfect for her role in this-- you can't not be on her team and take a jaundiced view of Grace Kelly.  Or can you?  Would love to hear if anyone disagrees-- make your case!

Ava's sea green eyes amplified by the sea green backdrop!

Honored Contributor

Re: "RED DUST/MOGAMBO" DOUBLE FEATURE NOON SATURDAY TCM

[ Edited ]

Good double feature.  Personally, I prefer the Gable/Harlow version.  I think he was too old for the remake.  And although I do like Ava, Harlow was a hoot in the original.  Also prefer Mary Astor to Kelly in that role.

IMO, Gable was an underrated actor.  I thought he was great in San Francisco, The Misfits, Mutiny on the Bounty and many others.  He is one of my favorites.

Honored Contributor

Triple feature actually......

4:00p EST -

Gone With The Wind

Starring:  Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable, Olivia De Havilland, Leslie Howard

whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Oh, ditto, @kaydee50 ,  and loved him in "It Happened One Night",   "The Hucksters" and "Homecoming",  among others...

I missed that, thanks @Mz iMac -- it is indeed a mini-Gable fest!

Respected Contributor

I never grow tired of that Carol Burnett clip, @Mz iMac -- thanks for the laugh!

Frequent Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Good double feature.  Personally, I prefer the Gable/Harlow version.  I think he was too old for the remake.  And although I do like Ava, Harlow was a hoot in the original.  Also prefer Mary Astor to Kelly in that role.

IMO, Gable was an underrated actor.  I thought he was great in San Francisco, The Misfits, Mutiny on the Bounty and many others.  He is one of my favorites.

Agree with every sentence of your post!

And of course there's an Irish priest in the remake, because it's a John Ford film, lol.

Frequent Contributor

I think Clark Gable at any age was incredible. I believe  his first on screen role was with Barbara Stanwyck in Night Nurse. He plays a ruthless chauffeur. Always so handsome and a great actor. I do like both versions.

Respected Contributor

I liked the first one with Jean Harlow's wit. I found the animal hunting too difficult to watch this time around and turned the channel back & forth a couple times. Gable seemed too scruffy at his age in the second one IMO.

Honored Contributor

Oh, yeah, I'm glad you mentioned "Night Nurse", @911 --  such an interesting turn for a young Gable as an out and out villain!