Honored Contributor

Re: "RAWHIDE" TV SERIES: ERIC FLEMING, CLINT EASTWOOD SATURDAYS 3:00 P.M. EASTERN METV

I have been watching Gun Smoke and Wagon Train, it is amazing how many actors and actressess show up on these shows.  Gun Smoke is interesting, they usually used the same people to come back and play different characters. They had interesting guests  Wagon Train had a lot of guest stars, even Mickey Mooney, Bette Davis, and on Gun Smoke I even saw Jack Lord from Hawaii 5 0, he was very young but his hair was still doing that little thing that happens in front. Leonard Nimoy was on Gun Smoke at least two times.  Love the westernsSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: "RAWHIDE" TV SERIES: ERIC FLEMING, CLINT EASTWOOD SATURDAYS 3:00 P.M. EASTERN METV

@Oznell 

"Rollin' rollin' rollin'.......

Thanks for the earworm!!  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

I love all the love for "Rawhide", and the other truly classic westerns mentioned.

Your little-girl self was so right in your assessment of Eric Fleming, @vsm

Glad you plan to watch, @drizzellla , and hope you'll give your first-time impressions if you do.  It took me a number of episodes to start to "get" it, and for the whole thing to jell for me.

Agreed all, that song is so hard to shake once you've heard it! (I'm sorry I misspelled Frankie Laine's name earlier.)  He does such a superlative job belting it out, with the accompanying authenticity of the cattle-drive sounds.   It's hypnotically rhythmic, and unforgettable, which all your comments about it prove.

Respected Contributor

Loved that show and will have to revisit when I can find it. I got hooked on watching Tales of Wells Fargo, mainly because I thought Dale Robertson was so handsome. I loved the stories it told and loved his voice. It was such fun to see all the old stars who were on, too. It's fun to watch the old westerns and see the actors who hadn't "made it" yet. Really liked how Eric Fleming was always so cool and collected.

Honored Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

Loved that show and will have to revisit when I can find it. I got hooked on watching Tales of Wells Fargo, mainly because I thought Dale Robertson was so handsome. I loved the stories it told and loved his voice. It was such fun to see all the old stars who were on, too. It's fun to watch the old westerns and see the actors who hadn't "made it" yet. Really liked how Eric Fleming was always so cool and collected.

Dale Robertson was sooo cute!

Honored Contributor

While I liked the catchy theme song as I watched this show in the 1960s nowadays I don't because you hear a whip during it, as in whipping the cattle to move along. The song is good but I hate the whip.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee    Relax.  It's the sound or crack of the whip that makes cattle move, not hitting them.

Bullwhips are pastoral tools, traditionally used to control livestock in open country. A bullwhip's length, flexibility, and tapered design allows it to be thrown in such a way that, toward the end of the throw, part of the whip exceeds the speed of sound—thereby creating a small sonic boom.[1] The bullwhip was rarely, if ever, used to strike cattle, as this could inflict damage to the animal.[citation

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The whip is not used on the cattle.  The whip is used to move along cattle that may be caught in brush, e.g., or to move them in a different direction.

The whip is snapped (cracked) above the heads of the cattle.  The sound moves the cattle along.

Rawhide refers to untanned leather which is used to make whips, btw.

If one researches cattle drives, one can find this info.

The sound can be heard for miles and can also be used to communicate that a lost cattle has been found.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   Sorry-I just saw your post about the sound of the whip.

Also:  The theme song includes the word "doggies" but that is a misinterpretation.

It is "dogies"-young cattle without mothers.