Respected Contributor

Re: "Prisoners"...Movie Recommendation On Netflix

[ Edited ]

Watched it couple days ago...suspenseful and excellent, excellent, excellent. Much better than I expected.  Nice seeing Melissa Leo inspite of her character role!  Unexpected outcome!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mersha wrote:

@laluzdelmundo wrote:

I started to watch this one but it had an unfortunate opening scene with a deer being shot, so I stopped. That's like the beginning of "Lou," also on Netflix. Guess that's a thing these days on that platform? I don't believe in hunting unless you are facing starvation,  and don't feel that it is necessary to show for entertainment either.

@laluzdelmundo I totally agree with you.

The beginning deer scene lasts a few seconds.  It was totally unnecessary to the story.

The only reason I can come up with as to why it was there was to relay the story was taking place in a Pennsylvania town where hunting is popular.

@Mersha    I scanned past the deer scene holding my breath for no more animal hunting. That "coming of age" killing scene was a key "emotional" element regarding the person who was the actual killer!

Respected Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

@laluzdelmundo wrote:

I started to watch this one but it had an unfortunate opening scene with a deer being shot, so I stopped. That's like the beginning of "Lou," also on Netflix. Guess that's a thing these days on that platform? I don't believe in hunting unless you are facing starvation,  and don't feel that it is necessary to show for entertainment either.

The beginning deer scene lasts a few seconds.  It was totally unnecessary to the story.

The only reason I can come up with as to why it was there was to relay the story was taking place in a Pennsylvania town where hunting is popular.

@Mersha    I scanned past the deer scene holding my breath for no more animal hunting. That "coming of age" killing scene was a key "emotional" element regarding the person who was the actual killer!

@ScarletDove   I did not connect the deer killing scene to the killer. 

To me, that scene was so random and could be left out of the movie.

Are you able to explain a bit more about how you view it without ruining who the killer is?

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mersha wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

@laluzdelmundo wrote:

@ScarletDove   I did not connect the deer killing scene to the killer. 

To me, that scene was so random and could be left out of the movie.

Are you able to explain a bit more about how you view it without ruining who the killer is?

@Mersha At the time this episode happened, the then adolescent son of the now deceased father was being indoctrinated by killing his first deer. The father was verbally humiliating and intimidating his hesitant child and instructed  a different child with the group to take out the deer, which he did. When the picture was taken, the child who would not shoot the deer was given credit, the child that killed the deer was ignored.  This deer killing scene was again shown with dialogue and outcome near the end when a multitude of explanations were coming hot and heavy.

Esteemed Contributor

Enjoyed it also. Another one who disliked the opening scene. 

An oldie but a goodie. I watched it in two nights.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Excellent movie...storyline was quite complex and riveting...and that uncertain  ending?...Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal were excellent in their roles...In reference to the "deer scene" in the beginning of the movie that some posters have mentioned, I thought to myself that it may not have been a real deer that they used...There wasn't a close-up so I preferred thinking that they used a fake image as some movies do.

I have a question that I will put in a spoiler...

Spoiler
How did you all take the ending of the movie, as they left it for the viewers to decide?...I convinced myself that Detective Loki (Jake) ended up following the whistle sound and was able to rescue Keller (Hugh Jackman), the father.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MyShadowLove wrote:

Excellent movie...storyline was quite complex and riveting...and that uncertain  ending?...Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal were excellent in their roles...In reference to the "deer scene" in the beginning of the movie that some posters have mentioned, I thought to myself that it may not have been a real deer that they used...There wasn't a close-up so I preferred thinking that they used a fake image as some movies do.

I have a question that I will put in a spoiler...

Spoiler
How did you all take the ending of the movie, as they left it for the viewers to decide?...I convinced myself that Detective Loki (Jake) ended up following the whistle sound and was able to rescue Keller (Hugh Jackman), the father.

@MyShadowLove  Loki was sharp, sensitive and deeply mindful (he would link the original whistle dad gave to daughter to the one the mother replaced)...I agree with your 2nd sentence of spoiler!

Honored Contributor

@MyShadowLove   end of the movie, yes, I agree with your summation.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I rewatched it - great movie - one of my all time faves.  

Great ending - so clever.  

Great cast.

Spoiler
The deer killing at the beginning and only the beginning has nothing whatsoever to do with anything else in the movie.  And there's no killer.  No one dies.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ScarletDove   That deer scene you described didn't happen in Prisoners.  It happened in the series Three Pines.  

I didn't care for this movie at all.  I found it to be so long and drawn out and was left underwhelmed with the outcome.