Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Lovely music.

I feel it's a good story on how small town America lived and believed.  Lots of hypocrisy, traditions and like most eras, the youth that leaves it all behind to make their own lives.  You must be familiar with the story of Peyton Place. If you don't know Kansas then you couldn't know about her people and traditions. 

@Puzzle Piece

Peyton Place was a far better movie and subsequently a great TV series that launched the careers of Mia Farrow and Ryan O'Neal.  As I said, I love the music from Picnic and am going to order the CD.  I think that was one of Kim Novak's first movies, but the story line was ridiculous and the acting was just awful!  JMO

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Kim Novak and all of the supporting actors were excellent. I thought William Holden was much too old for the part and not convincing as a man who had lost his way.  That part begged for someone like Paul Newman or Steve McQueen in my book.  

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

Kim Novak and all of the supporting actors were excellent. I thought William Holden was much too old for the part and not convincing as a man who had lost his way.  That part begged for someone like Paul Newman or Steve McQueen in my book.  

@Shawnie

That's exactly what I thought about the two actors, Newman and McQueen!!  And I thought Madge, supposedly being only 19, was way too young for Holden also.  He looked at least 35.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

I watched "Picnic" last night on PBS for one reason . . . that scene where Kim Novak slithers down the stairs to the beautiful music of the theme song and "Moonglow."  That piece of music has been recorded by practically every singing/musical act ever since.

What I didn't remember was what a stupid movie it was.

@LilacTree   That's funny!!  I turned it on and throught "What on earth is that?"  Then I went on to something else!  This morning I was wondering if I missed a good movie.  Thanks for making me feel better about that!!!  LOL!!!

@Sooner

Ha ha, you too?  And I missed what looked like a new "Dateline" to watch that!!

Oh how funny!!!!  Dateline is what I watched and it was an interesting one!  LOL!!!!  

Darn darn darn!!  Maybe I can find in ON DEMAND.

Formerly Ford1224
Respected Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@Shawnie

That's exactly what I thought about the two actors, Newman and McQueen!!  And I thought Madge, supposedly being only 19, was way too young for Holden also.  He looked at least 35.

He was 37!  And he was so nervous about dancing that he was drunk during the filming of the Moonglow scenes.   It was still the era of the contract system, and i expect Newman and McQueen belonged to another studio.  This was 1955, maybe the studio thought either of them would be too hot?  

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@Shawnie

He was 37!  And he was so nervous about dancing that he was drunk during the filming of the Moonglow scenes.   It was still the error of the contract system, and i expect Newman and McQueen belonged to another studio.  This was 1955, maybe the studio thought either of them would be too hot?  

@Shawnie

Really?  Wow!

1955 might have been just a couple of short years before Newman and McQueen hit.  Brando had just hit around then, but he wouldn't have done a movie like that.  He made The Wild One in 1953 . . . be still my heart!!

Formerly Ford1224
Respected Contributor

@LilacTree they shaved his chest for the shirtless scene.  

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@LilacTree they shaved his chest for the shirtless scene.  

@Shawnie

I wondered about that too . . . men had hairy chests in those days, but probably not on screen in the 50s.  I'm looking up if Brando had a hairy chest in A Streetcar Named Desire . . . yep he did.  But with that face and body who would care?  Besides I like a hairy chest anyway . . . ha ha!!

Formerly Ford1224
Esteemed Contributor

Geez all you feminist gals.  Madge, played by Novak stood up to her mother and the domonating traditions of 'nice girls' and what is expected of them left to live with her desire - Hal.  Lots of think about with that movie. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Geez all you feminist gals.  Madge, played by Novak stood up to her mother and the domonating traditions of 'nice girls' and what is expected of them left to live with her desire - Hal.  Lots of think about with that movie. 

I'd say feminism aside, Mama was right.  She set eyes on this guy 24 hours ago.  She had the hots for him.  Stupid stupid girl.