Valued Contributor

Re: "PRIDE AND PREJUDICE" GREER GARSON, LAURENCE OLIVIER THURSDAY 6:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

@Venezia  Greer Carson was in her mid 30s!  Olivier similar.  Lizzie is 20 years old in book & Darcy 26 or 28!  Its about young love nor older love.  They are way too mature for the parts. 

Honored Contributor

Re: "PRIDE AND PREJUDICE" GREER GARSON, LAURENCE OLIVIER THURSDAY 6:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Okay, I tried to watch this film again.  I didn't watch all of it, but I've recorded it. The fashions are way out of line for the time period.  And given that the Bennet family were not wealthy, the fashions, jewelry, etc. were too overdone for me.

Also, I skipped to the end and the idea of Lady Catherine de Bourgh telling Darcy that Elizabeth is just the girl for him...preposterous.

I understand that film makers and studios take liberties with storylines, but that was a step too far, IMO.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

MGM was the ultimate, premiere Hollywood Dream Factory;  this film gave everything the studio could to audiences of the time in glorious abundance. 

I adore this film and can watch it over and over.  I always view this film as a classic example of the studio system of entertainment at its finest.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

MGM's production records for the film date back to 1936, with the following casting initiated under Irving Thalberg:

Norma Shearer and Clark Gable

Shearer and Errol Flynn

Shearer and Robert Donat (to be filmed in England,  then canceled)

Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh (following the success of GWTW)

Robert Taylor and Vivien

Olivier and Vivien

Olivier and Greer!

Note: Norma was 2 years older than Greer and had just completed playing the teenage Juliet.  MGM really didn't care about the actual age of its leading ladies, so long as they were costumed exquisitely, looked ravishing and were placed in opulent sets.

Super Contributor

I find this to be the worst version filmed.  Both leads were too old for the parts!!! My favorite is the one with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy.